one

Spring was here. The leaves were green like the grass, and the flowers were blooming. Birds were singing and bees were buzzing. Longer days would come, and the sun would shine on like it had been all week.

Mason found himself sitting in front of the headstone that belonged to a special someone. Someone he felt like he owed his life to—someone who made him who he is today.

His grandfather.

Losing him just two weeks ago was a feeling he had hoped he would never have to go through. But unfortunately, no one can escape the death of a loved one.

He found the loss very hard. He hadn't been feeling like himself for a long time, and it was a scary feeling for him. He was feeling hopeless and numb, sometimes even thinking that football wasn't worth playing anymore if his grandfather wasn't there to watch him.

It wasn't until a few days ago that he was able to come to the cemetery and visit his grandfather. He found peace here, sitting in the quiet and thinking of him. It gave him time to think and cherish the memories he'd carried throughout the years.

Mason would often think of the time his grandfather taught him how to box and how to always keep fighting even when things were hard.

He remembers the time he got to take him to Stamford Bridge for the first time on his debut, and that he scored a goal just for him. That was one of his favorite days that he spent with his grandfather, and he wishes he could relive that day over and over again.

The quietness was soon to be broken. Mason's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a light voice. He looked around until his eyes fell on a girl a few meters away from him.

Her back was facing him, meaning he couldn't get a glimpse of her face, but he could see that she was wearing blue jeans and a grey hoodie, and it seemed that her hair was tucked away underneath the hoodie; it wasn't hard to tell her hair color. It was a rare one, a color that only two percent of the human population had: red hair, also known as ginger hair.

Despite the hair color being very eye-catching, it wasn't exactly the thing that intrigued Mason the most. She was humming a song.

He couldn't tell what song it was despite the silence at the cemetery, but that didn't matter; the sound of her voice was angelic enough to keep his eyes on her the whole time.

He had no idea how long she had been sitting there; he had been so caught up in his own thoughts that he only noticed when she started humming.

He watched her decorate the grave of whoever it was that she was visiting. She took a proper seat on the grass and placed a rose on top of the headstone.

The humming had suddenly stopped. The cemetery was taken over by full silence again. It was quiet like that for a few moments, moments that Mason spent just watching her.

Not long after, he watched her get up from the grass, standing on her feet and cleaning her pants on the back in case the grass had gotten stuck on the material. It looked like she was ready to go.

Mason got a better glimpse of her this time. The wind had made her hair escape from the hoodie; it wasn't long, but it also wasn't short, and despite being a few meters away from her, he could finally see the side profile of hers, and it was enough to take his breath away.

He could see the hurt in her and how she was holding back her tears. She didn't stand there for longer; she left the grave and headed back to wherever she came from.

Mason was left there alone again, hoping for himself that he would see her again soon and maybe find out who this beautiful person was that had caught his eyes.

-

🕊AN: Thank you for reading the first chapter of this new book! It would mean a lot if you could share it and maybe save it, I'm very excited to post more chapters every day :)