Chapter 41 - Drowning

Start from the beginning

"Lots of things."

My eyes flicker to his lips for a quick second, and he notices. I wonder how he'd react if he knew that the only one I wanna do lots of things with is him. God, I'm crazy.

But his hand is in my hair, his body so close to mine I'm practically against his front, and all I can hear is my blood running, whooshing behind my ears with the thrill of him.

Before Silas can respond, a figure stands at the beginning of the hallway. Pietro.

My head turns in his direction but Silas's stays still, which makes bitterness crawl on Pietro's face.

His eyes dart between us before I step away from Silas, and then Pietro heads our way. "Don't you have housework to do, cara (dear)?" He asks me a sweetly and comes closer.

I cringe at his tone. Every sense in my body is alerted and my arms stiffen when he stops in front of me. Pietro reaches out to touch my cheek and I lean away, before Silas steps in front of me.

The silence had never been so sharp. I can't see Pietro anymore but in the quiet, I know just how afraid he is of his own son. 

By the time Pietro steps back from Silas, his facade is broken and he sends a cold glare my way as he turns to leave. Its clear on Silas's face his mood's ruined when he's gone.

He steps back, fists balled. "Chicago...Think about it." He says, looking behind me at Pietro before leaving.

"Wait, only if I'll get there in a gag and zip-ties."

He stops. Slowly turns his head over his shoulder. "Don't blame me if I actually follow through with what you're saying."

"Is that a yes?"

His mouth turns up into a smirk, and he shakes his head before continuing down the hallway. A smile consumes me like it never had before and I lean against the wall just to steady myself.

Thinking about Chicago makes my stomach flutter like I'm fifteen again, and have just passed my crush in the hallway. But this feeling, this is so much better than that.

I don't know at what point it happened, but something becomes clear to me...something I have to keep concealed forever.

I'm desperately and irrevocably falling in love...

With a man I won't ever let myself have.

———————————

"Now she's done it! WHERE IS SHE?!"

Pietro storms into the kitchen, face red with anger.

I don't care about that viejo pedo (old fart)
so I continue chewing my dinner, but then I see the look in his eyes as he comes up to me, and its terrifying. "You thief! Thieving little BITCH!"

Before he can reach me I jump off the chair and run but only reach the counter before he pulls me back by my cardigan. My face twists while struggling, he's pulling it so much my skin burns with the pressure.

There's no way out of this. My chest bangs with fear and with every passing second I feel myself getting weaker.

All I can see now are knives. In the terror, the anger and confusion, I grab one from the holder on the counter and point it at him, but instead of being afraid he laughs.