This man is a menace. (1)

The sunlight streamed into your room in the early morning, easing the tension you held, while packing up the little gear you had. Rolling back your shoulders, and taking a deep breath, you glanced to the window stepping in the light for a moment. Even though there was a barrier you could still feel the warmth kissing your skin. You only allowed yourself to bask in it for a moment, savoring a new morning, before stepping out into the hallway.

"Good morning!" you heard the man of the house call. Peering behind you, it seemed you both shared similar thoughts, as he too was relaxing in the golden light. You followed the hall, passing different rooms, and family portraits, till you stood in front of him.

"Good morning sir. Seems I'll be out of your hair today."

The wrinkles on his face grew prominent as he barked a laugh, "Well what were you doing in my hair?" As his laughter died down, he motioned for you to sit.

"Really, I don't want to waste anymore of your time."

"It's not a waste if I'm offering it to you. Please, come sit for a moment."

Seeing as this man had provided shelter to you, and possibly countless other Corps members, you obliged, setting down your things to take a seat.

"I appreciate you taking me and helping me sir."

"Of course. I'm sure you'd hate for this old man to babble on, but my daughter was saved by the Demon Slayers when she was young. That's not a kindness that's overlooked." Looking at him as he gazed at the sky, it was easy to see age lining his face, but there was no mistaking the joy he had for his daughter's safety.

"Where is she now?"

"Oh, she lives further North, in Yoshiwara. Her and my grandchildren come visit from time to time."

"That's quite far."

He sighed softly, "I suppose that's true, but it's where life led her." Finally, he turned his gaze to you, still smiling, "If life is worth any amount of money, Gods know I couldn't pay it. There was no fitting reward I could give the Demon Slayer who saved my sweet girl. If housing you, and calling a doctor to your aid pays back a single cent of that kindness, I'm happy to do so."

Finally, he stood, his stance relaxed, as though he wasn't burdened by a care in the world.

"How about I send you off with some food? Who knows where your travels will take you."

You stood as well, offering a sincere smile, "I would love that, sir." As you followed the old fellow inside, you decided not to tell him it was only a days run to your next location, your new residence. While he had said he did this to pay back the kindness, it seemed as though aiding Corps members helped with the loneliness of an empty home.

As he waved you off, the Wisteria crest of the home to your back, the journey home began. The journey to your still newly acquired residence, a place you continued struggling to call home.

The news of Rengoku's death shook the Corps, and everyone who knew him, including you. You had flown through the Corps ranks, your potential soaring after every successful mission. Your training had been brutal but two years later here you were, stronger than ever.  At least that was how it felt before you were delivered the heartbreaking news, while in the same breath, being told of your new title as the Magma Breathing Hashira. Of course, there could only be nine pillars, so you knew that if you were to become a Hashira, it would be to take the place of another. Still, you'd hoped it would be for retirement, not death.

Talk about big shoes to fill, taking the place Rengoku had left was no easy task. It wasn't to say you didn't deserve it, you had work tirelessly and endlessly to build yourself into who you were, a damn strong warrior. However, no one would truly be able to take his place, so it would simply be a matter of time and truly up to the other Hashira on how they felt about you. To be honest though? The hardest part of the new title was the colleagues that came with it.

Well that was putting it nicely. In truth, the other Hashira were stressful, and agitating.

There were some you could stand, Muichiro for example happened to be pretty quiet, concerning at times, especially when important information was being relayed, but he seemed to have his shit together.

Tomioka was easily respectable, as he seemed to be quietly perceptive, and though desperate to be acknowledge by his peers, he hid it rather well. He seemed easy to work with, which in turn made you feel rather neutrally towards the man. In fact, besides being a little odd, and let's face it in this line of work it made sense, at least half were all pretty okay, but it was still easier to keep it at pleasantries and nothing more.
Some fell less than short of that. Obanai? On good days he was pushy, on bad ones, infuriating in every way possible. Shinazugawa? He was an impossible person to talk to, and tended to act irrationally. It was better to avoid him altogether.

Of course, the one you couldn't bear to be around was Tengen Uzui. If it was between reasoning with Shinazugawa, or chatting with Uzui about the weather, you'd take the first in a heartbeat. It wasn't hard to pin down a reason either. While he was always committed to the mission, he always wanted to do it the "flashy way" which to you translated as the dangerous way. Uzui was so confident, but so incredibly cocky, hell he called himself 'The God of Festivals'. It was exhausting.

You're pulled from your thoughts as you hear the shrill cries of children.

"Let me go at once!!" one young voice, you recognized as Aoi cries out. You had sensed their presence long before, including Tengen's but you had assumed he was stopping by for something meaningless not..well, actually, what was he doing?

"Please I'm begging you, let go!" You heard Aoi along with the other younger girls cry out.

This was far from what you wanted to deal with, but if Tengen was there it couldn't be good.

Sprinting and turning the corner you realized someone had been closer, as you saw a young man carrying a box demand, "How dare you treat little girls like that! Let go of them, jerk!"

Who was this kid? And why did it seem like Tengen about to literally steal children?

This was exactly why he was your least favorite.