43 - Coming to a Standstill

It was around 8pm when Abhimanyu finally decided it was fine to go home and face Akshara. The entire day, he has spent in a bad mood, trying to figure out exactly what was bothering him. Not the sex. He did not regret having sex with Akshara at all. In fact, it had been the best sex of his life.

But there was just something...something about Akshara's calm, composed and uncaring attitude afterwards which hurt him. He...he just expected more from her? He didn't know what exactly that 'more' entailed but he certainly wasn't expecting her to play it off like nothing major happened between them.

He stole her virginity for God sake! It had to have meant something to her! Or...rather he wanted it to mean something to her. He didn't know what the fuck was wrong with him.

Abhimanyu took a deep breath and keyed open the apartment door, ready to confront Akshara about earlier this morning. As he walked inside, he saw she was busy cooking food in the kitchen. His stomach rumbled at the thought of food, reminding him he hadn't eaten anything the entire day.

"Hey! You're home just in time for dinner." Akshara greeted him. She took a deep breath, trying to be innocuous about her feelings as she tried to calm her raging heartbeat. She was hurting, but trying to put on a brave game face.

Abhimanyu walked over to kitchen counter and stood still. "Akshara, we need to talk."

Akshara closed her eyes, thinking about how she had messed up earlier this morning. She turned the stove off and faced Abhimanyu. "I'm all ears."

"Akshara, this morning you asked me about being in a no strings attached relationship. I'm sorry but I decline your offer."

"What? Why?" Akshara asked, taken aback by Abhimanyu's answer.

"Because I know the girl who so bravely offered me a friends with benefits relationship, that isn't who you are." Abhimanyu explained. "I know you Akshara and I know you're not that kind of a girl."

"Oh really, please tell me then, what kind of girl is it that you think I am, exactly?"

"You are smart, kind, intelligent, strong, opinionated, generous, a great chef, great with kids, passionate about things you love, a great friend, and an even better listener." Abhimanyu listed off all the things he'd noticed about Akshara in the short span of time he'd known her, leaving Akshara flustered.

"But I definitely know you're not the type of girl who asks men for a no strings attached relationship. That's not who you are."

Akshara shifted her eyes, too embarrassed by her words from earlier this morning when she'd offered Abhimanyu a friends with benefits relationship thinking that is what he would have wanted. But guess she has been wrong.

"What if I wanted to change? You know? Come out of my comfort zone?"

"Have you ever been in a relationship before?"

"Have you? And Zaara doesn't count. Have you had a relationship after her? After she broke your heart and made you so insecure and distrusting of women? Where you'd rather sleep your entire way through town rather than learn to evolve from a 2 month relationship you were a part of at 18?"

"This isn't about me!" Abhimanyu exclaimed.

"Why not? You are so quick to offer me advice about what I should be doing in life, dictating what my type of relationships are and yet you don't want to hear anything I have to say in return?"

Abhimanyu slammed his hand on the kitchen island, pinching the bridge of his nose to try to seek solace. Patience. "Akshara, I don't even know why we're fighting! I just...you are the first girl I've kissed on the lips after Zaara. So forgive me if it's taking a while for me to process what the fuck is happening to me."