19 - The (Ration)al Dilemma

Akshara opened the bathroom door and peeked outside searching for her husband only to see he was no where in sight. Grateful for small mercies, she stepped out of bathroom, wanting to quickly exit the bedroom without making any noise.

Just as Akshara finished closing the bathroom door behind her, that's when she heard him whisper in her ear, giving her a jump scare.

"So, did you ever dream about me doing things to you in the shower? Or is that going to be a dream for another night?"

"What the hell are you doing here?" Akshara exclaimed, holding her chest to keep the oncoming heart attack at bay.

"It's my room. Where else would I be?" Abhimanyu asked, rhetorically.

"6 feet under would be ideal." Akshara grumbled.

Abhimanyu frowned, trying to put in a straight face. "Sorry, didn't catch that. What is it that you were saying?" Abhimanyu retorted loudly, pushing a hand to his ear as he leaned in onto Akshara.

"Nothing. I said aren't you getting late for work?" Akshara corrected herself as she regarded Abhimanyu with her fakest innocent smile she could muster.

"Aww, look at you all worried about my work. Everyone deserves a wifey like you. First the sex dream..." Abhimanyu smirked as Akshara closed her eyes and held her breath before he continued, "And then making sure I get to work on time. How sweet!"

"Will you let that go?!" Akshara growled, looking no less than a tiny toddler throwing a tantrum.

Abhimanyu feigned pondering over Akshara's request, making her even more agitated. "No." He answered casually, before walking off into the bathroom, leaving Akshara seething, wanting to hit her contract nuisance of a husband with the closest thing she could find.

~*~

A casual-chic dressed Abhimanyu wearing grey slacks, a button up light pink shirt with dark brown loafers carrying his stethoscope walked onto the main hall and witnessed his wife frolicking through the kitchen cabinets.

His eyes moved to the counter tops in front of him to see it full with perishable items.

"Expired since 2019. Expired since 2018." He heard her grumble as she put two boxes on the shelf beside various other ones.

"What are you doing?" He asked, narrowing his eyes, walking up to her.

"Trying to find something to eat. Something that did not expire centuries ago." Akshara growled.

Till now, he had only heard of the ancient and very popular saying which made a man aware of two things: one was to never come in between a girl and her food and two was to never mess with a hungry girl —and today he was baring witness to a live reaction. And it was amusing to say the least. The only way Akshara could have come off any scarier was if she had just woken up with bed head.

"Then what is all this?" He asked casually, looking at the containers of food on the shelf.

"This is all the food I can't eat." She fumed, frustratedly.

Abhimanyu raised his hands up in surrender. "Sorry I even asked. What about this over here?" He pointed towards two boxes laying away from the rest. Are they expired too?"

"No. They aren't."

"Great! Then why don't you eat that?"

"Sugar and salt? You want me to eat sugar and salt?" Akshara growled, borderline psychotic due to her hunger.

"Oh." Abhimanyu's mouth made a big O as he tried to think of his next move. Lord. Were all girls this difficult or did he just happen to strike the jackpot?