Chapter 29: Wolfe Hunt

I sit upright looking for John.

Then, I’m hit with the realization that it was a dream.

“It felt so real though. John, are you out there somewhere?”

I rub my eyes and stretch.

I check the time and it’s been 3 hours since I fell asleep.

Just then, Kuo starts to call me.

“Okay, he’s on the move. Stay out of sight,”

I stand up and dust myself off.

“Once I find where they’re keeping Wolfe, how are we gonna get him out?”

“I’ve ‘appropriated’ one of the Militia’s trucks,”

“Special Agent Kuo, isn’t stealing cars illegal?”

“Section 150 of the Federal Penal Code states that a law enforcement officer is authorized to commandeer a civilian vehicle in order to catch a suspect, escapee, or prevent a crime,”

“Heh, Penal Code..”

I follow closely above Wolfe’s interrogator. Every twist and turn.

He ends up going into a house along a canal.

“Kuo, the interrogator’s heading into the tan house on 8th street,”

“Getting a vehicle outta that area won’t be easy. The Militia set up roadblocks all along the canal,”

“Okay, you head in and get Wolfe. I’ll break up the roadblocks,”

“Got it. Work fast,”

I lob a grenade into the militia blockade and it destroys the blockade.

“That fast enough?”

“Yes. That’s what I need actually. Now do that for the next blockade further down,”

“Yeah. I knew that,”

“I’m almost in the house. Now this is going to move fast, Cole, be ready,”

“I will be,”

I head further down the street towards the militia blockade. When I get there, the blockade is..destroyed? There were cracks all along the ground, destroyed cars, and dead militia.

“Something really fucked this place up before I got here”

From beneath my feet I feel intense rumbling, dust bellowing from the cracks. Then a huge figure bursts from beneath the cracks.

“Cough, cough So you’re the one who destroyed this place. You friendly? That could really lighten the load-”

Before I can finish my sentence, it starts to charge towards me. I roll to the side to dodge it.

“Ugh, I knew it. Hey man, I hate the militia too!”

I use my kinesis to pickup a nearby car and smash it into the beast. It staggers and burrows underground. 

With more intense rumbling, it burrows all around me and suddenly emerges in front of me and pins me to the ground by my hands.

When I hit the ground all the air is taken from my lungs.

“Gah! You pack one helluva punch. I can too!”

I lift my legs to my chest and kick the creature off.

It stumbles then burrows back underground.

“C’mon! Help me, help you!”

It tries to pin me again but I suspect as much. I dodge it’s attempt, unstrap my amp, and lodge it inside the monster’s mouth. I charge my amp with electricity and fry the creature inside out. It lets out a painful howl as it goes limp.