Chapter 5: Blood Trail

I arrive at another intersection.

“Okay, Moya, can you see my location?”

“I can. One of my contacts, an electrician named Brandon Carey, didn't check in last night. He's pretty important, so you need to find him. He was last seen in the alley across the street from you,”

I jog across the street to the alley and look around and find a dead woman.

“Your boy isn't here, Moya, just a dead woman,”

“A woman? That doesn't make any sense”

“Hang on a second,”

From what I remember, memories are controlled by electricity in the brain. I should be able to see her memories if I look for them.

I put my hand over her head, and I start to see something.

The woman, Lynnae, starts to speak.

“...Reapers... no... leave my husband alone... where are you taking him... Brandon!” 

“It worked,”

Moya speaks.

“What did?”

“I... I was able to tap into her memories, the reapers kidnapped Brandon. This is his wife, Lynnae. They took Brandon out of the alley,”

“See if you can see where they took him,”

“Got it,”

I look around for more dead people, reapers love to shoot people.

I eventually find one and tap into their memories.

“..Yeah, I’ll be there in a sec…Ah! Reapers!..Please, I have a family!”

I look up and they’ve seemed to go towards an alley across the street.

I go into the alley and find another body.

“..Damn it, where is he..Shit!..L-look..I don’t have anything…let me go!”

They went to the substation yard on the next street. Bingo.

I start heading over as Zeke calls me.

“Pick up your damn phone,”

“What's up?”

“The Feds, man, that's what's up. Watching our every move. I even caught one scoping out our roof. Was leaning against a wall down there, eatin' a fresh apple. Now you tell me, where the hell'd he get that?”

“I dunno Zeke, but if we want to be out of here, this is the way it's got to be,”

“C'mon, man, don't be stupid. They'll ride you as long as they can, but the second you're no longer useful, BAM, you vanish. Permanently,”

“I think all that conspiracy stuff has rotted your brain,”

“Don't kill the messenger, brother. I'm just tellin' it like it is — you watch your back” 

Zeke hangs up.

When I reach the substation yard, I see a light in the distance and walk over to it.

“The hell? Why would they run here?”

From around a corner I see a shadow of a person, since I’m not being shot yet it must be Brandon.

I walk toward the corner and say.

“Hey, Brandon! Moya’s looking for you!”

When I turn the corner I don’t see Brandon, but a stubby-looking reaper messing with the wiring to the Neon.