Chapter 26: Forward Momentum

As we’re running into the city, Kuo calls Wolfe.

“Hey, Dr. Wolfe. I’m back in town. I have MacGrath,”

“Good, very good. Unfortunately, I have a bit of bad news,”

“What? Are you alright?”

“Yes, but the Militia searched my Lab this morning and discovered the Blast Core I’d been hiding,”

“Okay, stay in your lab. We’ll swing by the West lookout and see if we can get it back,”

We head down the streets and from balconies above I hear.

“It’s him!”

Following that, I hear the guy fire an rpg.

I backpedal to dodge the explosion and throw a grenade at the guy.

His body flies from the balcony onto the street.

Having dealt with the problem, Kuo and I head down a nearby alley.

At the end of the alley, there’s a truck blocking the way.

Kuo looks at me.

“You mind clearing the way?”

“Gotcha,”

I raise my hands and use a shockwave to clear the way.

“The West Lookout’s up ahead,”

Just as we’re heading down the street another rocket is shot at us from a balcony. I use a shockwave to push the rocket back.

The rocket flies into the balcony, destroying it.

The balcony collapsed on top of him.

I chuckle and say.

“I love this town,”

Kuo looks at me.

“Let's go. It’s not too far,”

Wolfe calls Kuo.

“Kuo. the militia are back, and they trying to force the door to my lab!”

“Damn. Wolfe, I’m on my way,”

Kuo looks at me and continues talking.

“Cole, you’re on your own. The blast core glows purple, you cannot miss it,”

“I’ll find it. You go help Wolfe,”

With that we split ways. Kuo goes to help Wolfe, and me to find the Blast Core.

I climb up the nearest building and start to survey the area. The militia are all over the nearby buildings, but there are more on one specific building. 

“That should be it,”

I grab the Amp off of my back and start to tear through the militia on the surrounding buildings.

I set foot on the building being searched and 2 militia soldiers start shooting at me.

I dodge the bullets and strike one of the soldiers in the stomach and send him to the ground. The other soldier steps back from the surprise. I take advantage of his hesitation and take him down.

After a bit of searching, I found where the blast core had been hidden. It was inside of a cooler. Before I can reach it though, I hear a citizen yell.

“Somebody, help!”

I look over the edge of the building and a civilian is being mugged by 3 soldiers of the militia.

I land quietly behind the militia soldiers.

One of the soldiers speak.

“I know you’re a delinquent. You’ve been walkin’ all suspicious ‘till I stopped ya,”

“I’m not a delinquent..somebody help me..”

The woman is curled into a ball and shaking. I ready my Amp and slam it into the backs of the Militia soldiers and knock them out cold.

The civilian looks up in surprise and then speaks.

“T-thank you..”

“It’s no problem, you should be safe for now, but you should still be careful,”

She smiled faintly, and ran down the street.

I climbed back up the building and got the Blast Core.

I call Kuo.

“Kuo, Wolfe, I’m pretty sure I found it. Still at the lab?”

I hear Wolfe respond.

“MacGrath..the shards they’re..Oh God!”

An explosion goes off in the distance. At the same time the phone hangs up.

“Wolfe? Wolfe!”

I step onto a nearby powerline and grind across. When I reach the next building, there are Militia crowding it.

“It’s the Demon!”

I take out the Amp and take out the Militia on the roof.

More start to take their place, so fighting them is useless.

I hop onto a nearby rail and head towards the lab.

After I reach the lab, I start searching for Wolfe.

“Wolfe? Wolfe!”

I hear a voice from some rubble.

“MacGrath!”

I run over and get the debris off of him.

“Dr. Wolfe,”

When I help him up, his eyes light up with realization.

“My God, you look just the same,”

I raise my eyebrow in confusion.

“Same as who?”

“Kessler, the man who gave you your-”

I raise my hand and cut him off.

“I know who Kessler is,”

My temper rises at the mention of Kessler’s name.

Wolfe continues talking.

“At the beginning we were friends. He told me all about his plans for you, and the Beast,”

“Then you know I failed. I couldn’t stop it. Now Empire City is gone,”

“Yes, and it won’t stop unless you expand your abilities, and become powerful enough to use this,”

He crouches over and picks up something. A weird object that looked like the Ray Sphere.

“Another Ray Sphere?”

“Not really, it’s a Rayfield Inhibitor. I call it the RFI. Think of it as an Anti-Ray Sphere,”

“So instead of giving powers, it takes them away,”

I take the RFI into my hands.

“With that device, you can combat the Beast, subtract his abilities. Keep it safe,”

I put the RFI into my backpack and pull out the Blast Core.

 “Yeah, what about this?”

“Ah, Blast Cores. They power the RFI. They’re batteries for the same energy that fuels all genetic mutation. Pass a current through it, and its energy will release into the nearest Conduit,”

“Whoa, whoa, so this is gonna make me stronger?”

“Oh Lord yes, and that’s just the first. Together we will defeat the Beast!”

“Oh, enough with the pep-talk, Wolfe. Let’s do this,”

I charge the Blast Core with my energy. Its immense energy flows through my body, overflowing my senses. Afterwards I blackout.