Chapter 28: Bertrand Takes Stage

When I get near St. Ignatius church, I see Bertrand reciting his speech to all those gathered.

I start to merge into the crowd to find Zeke.

I catch a bit of his speech as I do.

“Cole MacGrath. The Electric Man, The Demon of Empire City is here in New Marais. Now, I know I know. All these freaks in our city, something has to be done to them,”

I find Zeke and walk up next to him. He’s fake cheering.

“Yeah, go, Bertrand,”

“What’d I miss?”

“Basically, Bertrand’s been telling everyone that uhh…you’re the devil,”

“Sounds about right,”

Bertrand continues speaking.

“Our forefathers bled and died in defense of this city. When history called upon them to stand against the enemy! Did they cower? No! They fought! To the very last man,”

Zeke turns to ask me a question. 

“So, what’re we gonna do? There’s a lot of people here. You attack him in front of these people and it’d give you a bad image,”

“I don’t know, but we need to do something, otherwise he’s gonna kill Wolfe,”

Bertrand continues.

“My men, these fine young men, are the guardians of this city. They are all that stands between you and the freaks! With God as my witness, we shall hunt them down and destroy them all!”

Me and Zeke look at each other and shake our heads.

Suddenly, one of the pedestrians in the crowd yells out.

“Up there! Freaks!”

Everyone looks up, and standing on the catwalk of the stage is a humanoid monster with large claws extending from where its hands should be.

Bertrand backs away from the microphone and nods towards the militia.

The militia ready their guns.

I turn towards Zeke.

“Looks like this is our distraction,”

I run towards Bertrand, who’s heading off the stage.

When I set foot on stage a creature looks in my direction and makes a beeline for me. With little effort, I blow it back with a shockwave.

More creatures start to head for me and in all the commotion, I lost Bertrand.

“Damn it. I don’t have time for this,”

I gather energy in my hands and blast it outwards, sending all the nearby creatures flying.

Amidst the chaos, I hear Zeke yells out to me.

“Bertrand’s heading for his limo, you can still catch him!”

I run towards the street. 

Right when I get there, Bertrand steps into his limo. In all the commotion a powerline was knocked down. I start to grind on the line just as Bertrand’s Limo starts to speed off. 

The limo follows the bend around the church while the powerline leads to a rooftop. As I land on the roof, I run as fast as I can and jump off the building and land on the trunk of the limo.

The limo swerves from the sudden weigh but eventually stabilizes.

I take out my amp and break the sunroof to see Bertand sitting there.