Chapter 10: Trish Reaches Out

I climb out of the sewers after turning on the substation. The new power I got to put it simply was that my reaction time drastically improved. Since I haven’t been contacted by Moya yet, I assume I’m off the hook for now. So I decide to head back to the roof with Zeke.

On my walk back I start getting a call.

It’s…Trish? Doesn’t she hate my guts? What could she be calling for?

I answer it.

“Cole, you there?”

“Trish?”

“A plane just dropped a crate of medical supplies, and someone needs to protect it from the reapers,”

“Want me to do it?”

“You're the only person I know with super powers. Besides you owe me... all of us, for what you did. I'll be in touch when the crate is safe. I’ll send you the location,” 

She doesn’t give me a chance to respond and hangs up.

How the hell was I supposed to know that I was carrying a bomb? Whatever.

My phone pings, it was Trish texting the medical drop location.

I get there and it’s barron. 

“Guess the reapers didn’t find it yet,”

I take a few steps and a bullet flies by me.

“The hell?” 

I turn and see reapers lining up on the tops of buildings.

“They did now,”

They start shooting and it doesn’t take me long to realize that they’re targetting the crate.

I throw a grenade up at them and when it explodes it clears out the left roof. I start to climb up the side of the right building. When I get up there I clear out the roof with one powerful shockwave. I look to my left and see reapers running down the side alleyways. I drop a grenade in the alleyway and blow them up. 

Then, I hear something behind me. I run across the roof and look over into the street.

“They brought a damn truck?” 

It’s a lorry with a machine gun where the cargo should be. I throw 3 grenades at the truck hoping it would be enough, it wasn’t.

I’m starting to run dry. I need to take out that truck before I’m out. I drop down on the reaper manning the machine gun. The driver-side door opens then a reaper runs at me. I run at him and kick him in his head which makes him fall. I look ahead and see reapers rushing out of the alleyways. The reapers stopped coming after that, thank god, I was running on fumes.

A few minutes later Trish and some paramedics come to the supply crate.

I ask her.

“Need any help moving that stuff?”

“We got it. And Cole? Thanks for your help,”

Her voice softens at the last part.

“This mean we're talking again?”

“We'll see,”

She gives a small grin and walks away. I decide to go back to my original plan and head to the roof.

When I get there Zeke greets me.

“Welcome back, man! Didn’t think starting a substation would take that long,”

“Well, it didn’t, thing is, Trish asked for my help with something,”

“Did she now? Congrats, man!”

“Thanks,”

I grab a beer and sit down next to Zeke. 

He starts talking.

“Hey, been kickin' an idea around and I want to talk to you about it,” 

“What’s that?” 

“You know how you use that blast move to throw a guy into the air, and then shoot him while he's floatin' around?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“We need to name those kinds of moves, man! I'm thinking we call it ‘the crippler'. You know, cause no one's comin' back from that one. We can plaster it all over some t-shirts, make some serious cash-ola. Think about it, man. You're the muscle, I'm the brains!”

I chuckle.

“Yeah, maybe we should,”

I watch more bad shows with Zeke until I pass out.