Chapter 18: The Ray Sphere

When I get to the transient’s trash tower, Zeke arrives at the same time.

“Hey man, was worried you weren’t gonna show,”

“I had a rough night, overslept a bit,”

“Don’t worry about it, I lost track of time too,”

“So what’s going on?”

“The Ray Sphere’s up at the top of this tower. Once we have it, we’re getting the hell out of here. You in?”

“It’s up there? Hell yeah, I’m in,”

“Alright, head over to that elevator over there and I’ll figure out a way to bring you up,”

At the same time, I call Zeke so that I won’t have to yell at him to talk while I climb the tower.

Zeke speaks.

“So how’d you track down the Ray Sphere anyways?”

“Ran into John. He told me it’s up here,”

“John? You mean Moya’s husband?”

“He says he’s not her husband. Never heard of her,” 

“What the hell does that mean?”

“That one of them is lying. Just don’t know which one,”

“Dammit Cole. I told you not to trust the feds! You ain’t still thinkin’ about turning over the Ray Sphere to ’em, are you?”

“John says he wants me to help him destroy it. Seems like a good idea to me,”

“Destroy it? Yeah, right. I’d bet my bottom dollar he just wants to fire that baby up. Or sell it off to someone for some serious cashola,”

As he says that, I reach a flat platform. A few feet in front of me is a generator connected to the elevator Zeke’s on. 

Once I charge it up, the elevator starts to rise. As it rises, I start climbing the tower to get a headstart.

I start talking to Zeke.

“You know, I really wish this had never happened to me. I’m still a damn errand boy. Going where people tell me, when they tell me. Startin’ to think that’s never going to change,”

“No way, man. Once we get that Ray Sphere, nobody will say as much as ‘boo’ to either one of us. You can mark my words on that one,”

“I hope you’re right, Zeke. I really do,”

When I finish that sentence, I reach the top of the tower. I charge up the generator, lift the elevator and I hang up the phone.

When Zeke get to the top, he’s confused.

“No resistance, that’s odd,”

Suddenly, a booming voice surprises us.

“I know you! Both of you! Locked me up like an animal, tied me to that chair, tried to electrocute me! I showed you, though. You and those pigs!”

It’s Alden.

I yell out to Zeke.

“Zeke, stay back! When I give the word, you go for the Ray Sphere, I’ll keep Alden off you!”

Zeke takes shelter behind some stray trash. Metal Crabs start to flood the top of the tower.

Alden speaks again.

“I know why you’re here, what you want. Nobody’s taking a damn thing from me!”

“My only way out of this hellhole runs through you, Alden. By god you’re not stopping me,”

“You’re a fool, boy. Only seeing what others show you. But you learn soon enough,”

After a few minutes I clear out the top of the tower.

“Zeke, do it! Go!”

Zeke runs towards the Ray Sphere and starts to yank on it.

Suddenly, 2 golems appear and more metal crabs flood from the tower.

I push both golems off the tower with shockwaves.

Alden’s speaks again.

“When my tower is complete I will be reborn. This tired, old, body will be gone, replaced by cold steel and concrete. And then my destiny. By god, I’ll take what’s mine,”

Zeke is still tugging on the Ray Sphere when he speaks. 

“Damn thing won’t budge. Need more time! Almost got it!”

After 5 minutes, I clear the tower.

A helicopter arrives.

I think it’s John but instead Kessler steps out.

He speaks.

“Hello again, Cole. I told you we’d meet again soon,”

Alden screams at the arrival of Kessler.

“Kessler! You stole my childhood, my home! You dare come here!”

Kessler cackles.

“Poor, poor Alden. All that potential, squandered. Your father would’ve been so disappointed,” 

“You dare mention my father! I’ll kill you, all of you! Tear you from limb to limb!”

Alden’s powers go ballistic, the tower starts to shake.

I yell to Zeke.

“Zeke, get out of here! Run!”

Zeke yanked the Ray Sphere out of its cradle and was caught between Alden and Kessler.

He just stood there, petrified.

Kessler appears behind Zeke and starts to talk to him. I can’t hear but I know it’s not good.

I start to walk towards Zeke but Kessler zips grabs my throat.

He speaks.

“Do it, Zeke. I know you want to,”

Zeke takes a deep breath, and activates the Ray Sphere.

A bright light envelopes my vision for a few seconds and after that the light dissipates. But there’s nothing. No explosion, no one dead. Nothing had happened.

When I look at Zeke he seems disappointed.

Kessler speaks up.

“It must’ve been damaged after the first blast, but I can fix it. Come with me and you’ll have the powers you desire,”

Zeke looks at me and slowly steps onto the helicopter with Kessler.

I was stunned.

Was Zeke really that desperate for powers? Jealous towards me?

Either way I didn’t have time to think about it, the tower was falling apart and if I didn’t run now, I’ll be dead. I run and jump off of the tower and glide to the ground.

When I land, John calls me.

“I thought I told you to pick someone you could trust!”

“Zeke’s my best friend, like a brother to me. He’s about the only person I could ask to the front lines like this,”

“Well, because of that Alden’s on a killing spree, and Kessler has the Ray Sphere. We need to resolve both situations,”

“Maybe I should let those two slug it out, and then swoop in and nab the Sphere when the dust settles,”

“What if one of them activates it and kills another ten thousand people in the process? And who the hell knows what that Moya person wants with it. This is the only way,”

“You’d better be serious about destroying it,”

“You have my word. Alden’s heading into the Historic District. Catch up to him, take him out, and then look for Kessler. I’ll be in touch,”

I start heading for the bridge that leads to the Historic District.