Chapter 14: Anything for Trish

I arrive next to Trish. 

“Hey Trish,”

“Hey Cole. I’m glad you’re here the reapers attacked me on my last trip, they must think I'm working with the dust men or something,” 

“Is this the last trip?”

“It should be,”

“Then these supplies are getting to the Hospital,”

Trish smiles.

“Then the rig on top of the bus should help, too,”

She points to the top of the bus and keeps talking.

“I had someone rig a generator to the top, so you should have an infinite energy source,”

“Oh yeah. This is how it’s done,”

I hop onto the top of the bus and electricity flows through me. I feel powerful, like my stamina is infinite.

“I could definitely get used to this,”

“We’re heading out now, you ready?”

“Already been,”

The bus starts heading down the street. After a few minutes reapers started attacking. I fend them off easily with my infinite power. Hell it feels like I’m cheating.

After a short while the reapers stop attacking us as we come up near the bridge.

I look around and find out why.

The reapers and dust men are engaging each other, the perfect opportunity.

I yell out to Trish.

“It’s the dust men! The reapers and dust men are fighting! Keep moving, let them fight it out!”

After I say that I get a call from Zeke.

“Hey brother. Sorry I was such a prick back at the shipyards. Really screwed the pooch on that one,”

“I know, Zeke, but the world is changing. Hell, any of us make a mistake and we’re as good as dead,”

“Hell, I know that. But you know how it’s been for me, no family, broke all the damn time. When this quarantine went up, I thought it’d give me a fresh start. Let me really be something,”

“I know where you’re coming from, but we all have to be careful. Besides, all I need you to be is alive,”

“Thanks Cole,”

By the time I hang up, we had crossed the bridge. 

The bus accelerates down the street. The hospital isn’t too far. Eventually, the straggler dust men that weren’t in the fight with the reapers started attacking us, and I started fending them off.

Moya starts talking.

“I got my hands on a picture of the dust men's leader. It’s Alden Tate,”

“The bastard that kidnapped Zeke?”

“Yeah,”

“I can’t wait to get my hands on that prick. Show him a lesson,”

“Well when you do, don’t kill him, we need him alive,”

I could see the hospital down the street. I can barely make out a silhouette of someone on the top of the hospital. It confuses me but I get caught off guard by the dust men ceasing their fire as we reach the hospital.

I look up and the silhouette that I saw was some old guy on a cane. He speaks.

“You come again strutting into my territory! You and that damned Kessler are the same!”

It’s the guy that kidnapped Zeke, Alden. But before I could process this, he flicks his wrist upward and the bus comes flying from under my feet and lands on the top of the hospital.

Alden speaks again.

“I’m gonna enjoy killing both you and Kessler,”

This old man is powerful. Hell, more powerful than me, looks really are deceiving. When I look up to where he was standing. He was gone.

Moya starts talking.

“Cole? What happened?”

“Alden just threw the bus Trish is in on top of the hospital,”

“He threw it?”

“With his mind,”

“So that must’ve been the power he got from the blast,”

“Damn good one he got. He’s definitely stronger than me,”

“That’s why we have to deal with him quickly,”

“Yeah,”

“Anyway, you should hurry and save Trish,”

“I was already getting ready,”

While we were talking, dust men started to surround the hospital.

I run towards the hospital and the dust men started attacking. My adrenaline nullifies the pain, though the dust men are persistent and eventually knock me down.

“You guys really want to die don’t you?”

I turn to the group of dust men and clear them out with one shockwave.

“Stay down if you value your life,”

I turn around and start to climb the hospital.

When I get to the top of the hospital, I run to the bus.

“Trish! I’m here!”

“Cole!”

I reach into the driver side window of the bus and help her out.

“You good?”

“Yeah,”

“And the supplies?”

“They survived,”

Trish pauses and looks at me.

“Cole?”

“Yeah? What’s up?”

“I..Amy’s death..it really got to me. I know it wasn’t your fault. I just.. thought that pushing you away would make me feel better, but it really didn’t. When I got thrown up here, I wasn’t thinking of the supplies, I was thinking of you. I’m so sorry, Cole,”

Trish walks towards me and embraces me.

I’m surprised at the suddenness of the apology, but I reciprocate.

After a minute or two Trish breaks the hug.

“I should get the supplies into the hospital,”

“Need help?”

“I should have it from here, I love you,”

“I love you too,”

She starts to sort the supplies into the hospital.

Moya starts to talk.

“Hey Cole, There are rumors that a large-scale conflict might erupt between the cops in the Warren and the dust men, it hasn’t been confirmed yet. But I did hear that a 43rd precinct officer didn’t report back after being sent to arrest Alden. He was last seen on 52nd street,”

“Alright, I’ll head there now,”

I wave to Trish and head toward 52nd street.