8

I nodded, unable to form words

I nodded, unable to form words. My world was falling apart. I tried to focus on what was happening around me. I had to leave the temple immediately. Today just didn't make sense. Out of nowhere, my life had been turned upside down.

It seemed like bad karma was chasing me - well, in my case that would be bad gods who were not well-disposed towards me.

"So you are saying that I have to die in order to live, so that I don't destroy the world. I hope you know that all this makes no sense at all." My gaze slid to the priestess.

"Now I come to you, Madam Priestess. I don't understand what you mean by wishing that you had the power to protect me so many times. Surely you also only now through the grey weeping willows what lies ahead for me in the future?!"

Confused, I looked at the priestess and waited for a plausible answer.

Her eyes were wide open and her lips trembled. She tried to speak but she couldn't. Tears flowed down her cheeks.

"Please, Madam Priestess, tell me! I want to understand why you didn't know what to do with me earlier and suddenly you act like you know everything?"

The priestess lifted her head and shook it sadly. "There is nothing I can do for you. There is nothing anyone can do for you. The fate of the world is in your hands now. No one else can stop it."

I swallowed hard. "Madam Priestess, please..."

The priestess hurriedly looked away and wiped her tears. "I knew that someone in the village was destined for something big and could bring disaster upon us. I received a warning from our patron goddess Eurybia. Since then I have been on the lookout. Then at your blessing everything became clear to me when I saw the black water. But to be really sure, I brought you here to the primeval grey weeping willows."

She stared at the floor, unwilling to look at me. "No one should suffer like you have suffered. No one should experience such pain. Now it is time for you to die, Yona."

The grey weeping willows nodded affirmatively.

I sighed deeply. "Okay, I'll think about what you said and try to understand it."

The priestess smiled again and it seemed as if a huge weight was falling from her shoulders.

This woman was just as unstable and not quite clean in her head as these mystical creatures that clearly did not look trustworthy.

The priestess went to the door and opened it, "So we're done here, Yona. Let's go back to the main hall."

I followed her and turned around once more on the doorstep. "Bye.", I said a little awkwardly.

The grey weeping willows nodded and closed their eyes. Their bodies sank into the ground, leaving only their heads above the surface. I wondered if they were dead or alive.