Session 9.5: Before the Deluge

Chapter V: A Moment's Solace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the final details became clear, Merus gathered the people together. Many were still suffering from the dreams, and with Jezran's absence, they were far worse for wear. The Governor spoke briefly to them with great passion and conviction.

Selene did not understand it.

It was far removed from a great speech of old. There was little in flowery language, and it seemed more depressing than uplifting, but it seemed to do the job. People's eyes were more lucid, and a strength returned to them that washed away the fatigue.

Not bad, but if I make it through this, I'll try and make it sound better for retelling, Selene thought, though she found her heart was not in it, as she and the rest of the people were gathered up into teams.

That's when the real work began.

Everyone in the Hollow, young and old, came together to complete the task asked of them. No one knew when the attack would come, only that they must work tirelessly to complete preparations. All three factions: the garrison on the walls, the Governor's soldiers, and the militia worked together tirelessly building barricades and ensuring all weapons and armour would be ready. Selene and the party were all separated to assist with different projects.

Selene, most used to the ship, helped the crew of the Admare alongside the dockmaster and his assistants, and the population of fishermen.

The work was mostly creating a barricade using the fishing vessels, the Admare and whatever lumber could be salvaged from around the area. They worked until a few hours before nightfall, with the plan to continue work after a few hours rest. The mists were considered as a possible hindrance, as none could say what might lurk within the deepest clouds that clung to alleyways away from algae. The leaders in the War Council, however, believed it to be worth the risk as they knew not how much time remained before Lendrig's forces struck.

With some time free, Selene decided to find the rest of the party, so they could share a meal before they all got back to work.

Selene could not recall where everyone else had been sent, so she wandered the streets lined with algae, searching for a sign of where they might be. As she was passing one particular corner, she heard familiar voices whispering amongst themselves.

"...can't believe we're doing this again, Illy," Ari's voice came from nearby.

Peaking around the corner, she could see Argent and Ari sitting on the ground against the wall a few feet away from her. She was about to call out, but she stopped herself. Selene could see the pair quite clearly, but the two had no awareness in this moment but of each other.

They leaned against the wall, relaxed. Their bodies close together, but they did not touch. They did not gaze into each other's eyes, but it was obvious to anyone they were in their own world.

Part of her knew she should leave them be, but the other part could not help but be drawn in. Her heart raced as she watched and listened to their conversation.

"I know," Argent said, after a moment, "We have shared so many moments like this. Yet each time our fear burns anew."

Ari nodded, "So many questions in these quiet hours, and none with answers we hope to hear. We could face millennia of these moments, but I doubt anything but apathy would deafen these thoughts."

"But we have survived before, so we can survive again," Argent stated.

Ari closed her eyes and sighed, head leaning back against the wall, "I'm just so tired of surviving, Illy. We have fought so long and yet we are not any closer to an end."