Session 8.2: Return to the Hollow

Chapter II: Traverse the Mists

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everybody took a moment as they all breathed a collective sigh of relief.

"So...that went well," Selene said, staring up at the ceiling as she fought against a strong urge to sleep for a week.

Looking around, she saw they found themselves in another strange chamber. This one appeared to be the inside of some kind of cistern. Based on the mists dancing by her cheek, it was designed to funnel and capture mists instead of water. After another moment's respite, she got up and looked around. This structure seemed to stretch off in all directions as far as the eye could see, with rows upon rows of ornate pillars and columns holding up the ceiling high above them.

As Selene marvelled, Argent rose to his feet.

"We should keep moving," Argent said after a moment, reluctantly, "I know we are all tired, but there's no guarantee that the enemies chasing us can't find a way up here."

Everybody moaned and groaned, but there was no disagreement.

"Besides," Jezran added, "We need to get back to the Hollow. If Lendrig plans to invade we need to warn them, maybe even plan an evacuation."

Everyone fell silent at that.

"...are we sure we should be heading back there?" Selene asked, "I mean...I don't want anyone to get hurt, but this Lendrig guy seems to be a step ahead of us every time. I'm not sure there's anything we can do."

Jezran's head swung toward her, eyes aghast. The rest looked on silently, not sure what to say.

All except Argent, who simply nodded, "You're right, he has been a step ahead this whole time. Unfortunately, the same applies to our escape. I doubt any of us would make it far if we tried."

"Yes," Hamish added reluctantly, "And what of his scheme? He will not stop at Hollow, so we need to stop him from bringing back Igryss, yes? If not here, nowhere will be safe."

"I know...I just—" Selene swallowed, "I want to help, I just don't know what we can do."

"That's fine," Argent said, placing a firm hand on Jezran and Selene's shoulders, "We just take it a step at a time, we solve one problem, then the next. We repeat until we get through to the end."

"Argent is right, my friends," Hamish chimed in, "Little stones send many ripples in water. We may not know how to stop this thing, but our actions will make ripple in destiny, just like stone in water. This change may lead to those answers."

Everyone nodded in agreement as Argent continued, "Now with that out of the way, the best thing for us to do would be to get up and find a way above ground. From there, we'll head back to the Hollow, and anything else can be decided once we get there. Okay?"

Selene and Jezran nodded solemnly. As the group got ready, Selene approached Jezran.

"Listen, Jezran. I—" Selene started before Jezran cut her off.

"I know. You're scared, and I don't blame you for feeling that way," Jezran said, then he chuckled weakly, "Honestly, I'm terrified. I've never seen anything like Lendrig. His knowledge is practically endless and he's been playing this game since before the Collapse, if his words held any truth to them. And the stuff he showed me..."

Selene stared into the wizard's eyes as his words trailed. It was the same fear she felt. Staring into those eyes, his grip on their minds and thoughts. Nothing escaped his notice, nothing could be hidden from him, at least intentionally.