Session 4.6: Into Lendrigol

Chapter VI: Nightmare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadows encroached upon an ancient city. A city lost to time, to reality. Untouched and vacant, save one.

Selene ran through decrepit streets, worn away by aeons uncounted. Shattered remains scattered about. The dead entombed by hallowed halls. She could not stop, lest she join them.

There was no time to think, to comprehend. There was no time to hide, only to flee. Something chased her through this empty place.

Black as pitch, it moved in shadows with terrifying speed, defying reason itself. It had no form. Like a viscous fluid in a bowl, it filled the spaces in darkness, consuming them.

The sole light left in this forgotten place dwindled, and the shadows grew. It was only a matter of time before there was no light left. Selene turned around a corner and realized she was already out of luck. The road seemed to end at a cliff's edge, with a dark abyss below. Looking back, the shadow already blocked the exit.

There was no escape.

Selene, out of options, huddled in the small pool of light remaining, eyes closed and waiting for the end.

It never came.

She looked up and the shadows were empty now. Confused, she stood up. The rocks began to rumble as an ocean rose from the black pit below. A massive wave of water could be seen on the horizon. The water rose above.

High into the sky, over the last shreds of light.

Briefly, light reflected through the wave, something moved within. Finally, the world was brought into complete blackness. The wave crashed into the city and flooded the streets.

Selene was frozen to the spot. Water rushed over her, but she remained unmoved.

The water was colder than ice, and salt stung her eyes. A great presence filled the space above, greater than the city itself. An eye opened above her, emitting an ambient orange glow. It was massive, enough to blot out the sky as far as Selene could see. The eye shifted, staring down at her.

She screamed as her lungs filled with water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selene awoke gasping for air, cold sweat stained her brow. Selene took a deep breath, calming herself.

The pungent smell of incense filled the room; the others began to stir as well.

"Everyone, get up. We need to move. NOW." Argent ordered, standing before the barricade. A sickly green-black fluid dripped down the edges of his drawn blades.

An animalistic roar rang out as something massive slammed against the barricade. A crack appeared on the icy surface, but it held.

For the time being.

A purple tendril tried to slip through, only to be met by Argent's sword as it pulled itself into the room.

"What's happening?" Selene said, her and the others still trying to get their bearings.

"I don't know, but we're not safe here. Get up now and grab what you can, everyone, and get your spells and weapons ready," Argent commanded.

The next few minutes were a mad scramble. Everyone broke down what little camp was set up and prepared to depart.

"How are we getting out of here?" Selene asked, standing beside Argent, daggers drawn.