Session 8.4: Return to the Hollow

Chapter IV: Skirmish at the Gates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The continued march toward the Hollow was uneventful. The walls of the Hollow rose ever higher as they approached. In the darkness of their first night, Selene had not realized just how massive they were. In the sunlight and through the haze, she could see them standing high above all but the nearby tower Jezran claimed for his study.

From a distance, it all seemed peaceful, until they heard the sounds of bestial roars and cries of pain echo in the distance.

With no hesitation, the party drew their weapons and readied spells as they raced towards the sounds.

Are they already under attack? Selene thought, her grip on her daggers tightening.

It was not long before they saw a swarm of Drowned led by a thrall attacking a small group of armoured men. They seemed skilled enough to keep the Drowned at bay, but the thrall's brutish force was more than they could handle as it grabbed a random guard and slammed them into the wall as an ally slashed feebly at its tentacle limbs. Above, archers peeked through holes in the wall, firing upon the beast with careful shots.

None fazed it.

The sound of their approach was drowned out by the clash, so none noticed save those on the wall. Two arrows flew in their direction, but failed to make their mark.

"They're firing at us?!?" Jezran cried out, running awkwardly in a zigzag pattern, hoping to avoid their shots.

"No time to consider friend from foe. A fight's happening at the gate and more people are coming," Argent explained coldly, "It's their job to try and wound us so we're less of a threat to their men below."

Another few arrows were shot towards them, one about to bury itself in Jezran's chest before a flash of Argent's steel parried it mid-flight. Hamish caught another as it flew through the air and threw it deftly toward the enemy. The arrow flew with a speed and force as if shot from a crossbow into the flesh of the large thrall.

The damage appeared negligible, but it got the massive humanoid's attention.

It let out a bestial roar before turning and charging the party. A volley of arrows targeted the thrall as it surged toward them faster than a cavalry charge.

"There," Hamish said, self satisfied, "Now they know friends approach!"

"Great, now we'll get smashed instead of skewered," Selene muttered.

Once the thrall was in range, Jezran stopped and cried out, "Arcus!"

A cascade of lightning shot from his open fingertips toward the thrall. The beast let out an agonized cry, but it did not slow.

"Get out of the way, now!" Ari cried out as she slowed to a stop and crouched down. Fingers touched the ground as ice began to spread. Her eyes turned icy blue as she whispered her incantations.

Everyone moved quickly out of the way as ice shot toward the beast's path. Upon touching the bulging, fleshy tentacles of the thrall, the ice seemed to grip and cling to the creature. It slipped and crashed to the ground a few hundred feet ahead of them. The thrall was temporarily dazed, and did not immediately spring to its feet.

Once Ari stepped back, then Argent surged forward.

He leapt onto the small patch of ice on the ground, using the slick surface to propel himself forward. Reaching the collapsed thrall before it recovered, he thrust his shortswords into its exposed torso. Both swords sank to the hilt in the creature's flesh thanks to the momentum.