Session 8.5: Return to the Hollow

Chapter V: Behind Bars

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selene was tempted to resist as the guards surrounded them. She had never been caught by the guards in Izan'larai, but she knew the price for capture and she was not ready to lose either hand. However, no one else resisted, so she followed suit.

Huh. Weird. First time I've ever been captured, and I didn't even steal anything. Not that I was planning to... just never thought I'd be caught for nothing. Selene continued her pondering over this peculiar circumstance as she felt ropes bind her hands and all her visible weapons taken.

After they were properly bound, Ser Jacob and his guards, alongside Bastion, led them through to the Hollow. They passed onto familiar city streets with the glowing algae strung up along the buildings. It was only for a few minutes, however, as the prison was unsurprisingly quite close to the wall. Unlike the walls, the prison appeared to be a structure from the ruined Lendrigol. They entered to find algae hung up on the interior walls, casting their green sheen over everything, including a descending staircase at the end of the room.

Great, back underground we go. Selene thought dourly as they were escorted inside.

The stink was the first thing to hit them as they approached the stairs. It was a foul rot of a smell from aeons of crime and capture marked these halls. All the usual odours of containment could be found here, mixed with decay and dusted viscera.

Past the door, they descended several flights of steps, with the stench only increasing in potency. The slurry of smells grew to a point that even Selene found herself gagging.

Finally, they reached the bottom. From there they entered a long, dark hallway. Rows upon rows of cells lined the hall as far as Selene's eyes could see. Pockets of mist could be seen in several of these, and small streams flowed over the floor. The guards wasted no more time before shoving them into the first free cell in the place and leaving.

Bastion lingered as the other guards walked away.

Jezran, as soon as the door was shut, grabbed the bars with bound hands and leaned close to the Sergeant. He then whispered, "What's happening? Why is the Governor acting like this?"

Bastion sighed, "I don't know. They don't tell us much, but the Governor has been having bad dreams lately. It's made him far more suspicious than usual. Honestly never gave the new decree any mind, as nobody ever seems to leave the walls. Unfortunately, it seems that means you are the ones who have to pay."

"What can we expect?" Argent said, leaning back against the prison wall.

Bastion shrugged, "Hard to say. I know there'll be some interrogations to make sure you folk aren't traitors to the Hollow, but I don't know if that means they'll let you out if you prove your innocence. May be easier to just leave you to rot."

A strange look flashed in Argent's eye, "I see."

Bastion then added, conciliatory, "I don't know if it will help, but I'll put in a good word for you. I'll make sure they don't forget about you down here."

He then left without another word.

The door at the end of the hall shut with a metallic clang. There was no algae down here, so the room was pitch black. Not a problem for most of the party, but it would still take some time to adjust.

Selene stepped toward the bars and looked around, trying to get her bearings, when a familiar voice called out from the adjacent cell, "Surprised to see you here, horngirl."