Session 7.5: Lord of Abyss

Chapter V: A Challenge by Magus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hamish did not spare a glance for the Magus. He searched the room before his eyes fell on Selene's body.

Without a second thought, he rushed to her side.

Hamish cradled her head in his giant hand. Eyes filled with concern, he asked her softly, "My friend, are you alright?"

"Hamish..." Selene croaked, voice barely a whisper. She reached up to touch his cheek, scarcely believing her eyes. The feeling of his wrinkled skin and scruffy beard brought tears to her eyes, "You're alive."

A soft smile touched his face, "Of course my friend. Promised to keep you safe in this land. Cannot keep promise if dead."

Selene chuckled, letting her hand fall back to her chest. A warmth filled her as she knew now everything was going to be okay.

Her friends were back. They were together once more.

"Can you stand?" Hamish asked.

Selene nodded.

Gingerly, he lifted her to her feet. Then he made sure to stand between her and the Magus. Drawing her daggers, she swiftly cut the bonds on her hands before turning to face Lendrig.

Lendrig's attention, however, was on more important matters.

Ari stood at the center of the room, eyes gleaming an icy blue. She stood proud, iridescent.

Lendrig lifted his hand into the air. The water thrummed and tentacles twitched. His hand descended, pointing at the lone elf woman. The throne writhed from within, jets of water from the deepest depths shot forward, flanked by countless tendrils reaching out from the dark abyss for Ari.

Ari made no move to dodge, standing alone against the tide with arms outstretched.

Selene did not notice at first, but Ari's lips moved wordlessly. Frost grew from her fingertips, her breath becoming visible. As she finished, she brought her hands together with a resounding clap. Ice seemed to grow out of the motion, creating an icy spear, shielding her against the volley.

Ice clashed with ocean tides as though an icy bulwark against the tempest. Water and tendrils both broke against it, cracking the surface of the ice.

Ari screamed out as she brought her hands to her chest, she then began what almost appeared to Selene a dance. She became a blur of motion as her hands moved in intricate motions and her feet slid across the floor in fluid steps.

Ice shifted and frost grew from each step, the air around her froze, creating icicles all over her body as she moved. Her movements held an inhuman grace. Soon, there was no means to tell where Ari ended and the ice began as it flowed from her.

For a moment, Selene swore Ari was another person in that dance. Gone was the olive skin and fiery mane, replaced by a skin white as snow and hair black as night.

In that instant, she appeared a queen amidst the frost, a monarch of ice and snow.

Then she blinked, and Ari stood in her place once more.

The dance ended. Icy winds shot out toward the bulwark she created. It shattered into a thousand shards, freezing every tentacle and drop of water they touched.

Ice grew along the floor, rapidly approaching Lendrig. Lendrig was too focused on defending against her frozen shards, and did not see her creeping frost along the floor. It barely touched the hem of his robe before it froze up to his knees.