Session 2.3: Voyage to Syndramire

Chapter III: Changing Winds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a few days before arrival at the next port. Selene decided to stay out of trouble a while and join Hamish for his meditations after she was scolded for the umpteenth time. Today, he was seated atop the railing, with his legs crossed and eyes closed. She came up to him quietly, hoping not to distract him. She jumped atop the rail beside him. Her feet dangled off the side, kicking the air, as her tail rolled off the edge, bouncing with the breeze as the ship surged forward.

After a while, Hamish spoke, as if to no one in particular, "I understand why crewmates do not like it, but that was quite impressive." He chuckled. "I do not believe I have ever seen rope used like that."

Selene looked away as if she had no idea what he was talking about.

The plan had been to leap from the highest point on the ship and land on the unfurled sails. She would use them as a makeshift slide as she descended. Using a rope attached to the mast, she would swing down to safety once she neared the bottom. It did not work out that way. So she had to improvise, much to everyone's dismay.

At least the sails didn't rip, the captain would have killed me. She twirled her hair around her finger and bit her lip, "Thanks. I think."

"Haha! But be more careful next time you practice those 'heroic moves.' If you got hurt, might make it difficult to learn new ones, yes?"

She shrugged, "Sure." She already knew what she needed to do. Bring more rope next time and I bet it'll work.

Silence fell for a time as they enjoyed the breeze. The sun was setting on the horizon, bathing the ship and crew in hues of reds and yellows.

After a few minutes, Hamish opened his eyes and turned to face her. His expression was a mixture of hesitation and doubt. His voice grew serious as his eyes met hers, "...Selene."

Selene was slightly taken aback. In the weeks she had known him, he never sounded so serious. She responded slowly, "...yes?"

"I am...deciding," He shifted in his seat. "Where I might be going. I paid enough for travel to next port but no further."

"Oh." Selene felt her heart sink as she turned away. Her feet and tail slowed to a stop.

They had only known each other a few weeks, but she had grown accustomed to Hamish's company. She was uncertain she was ready to part ways.

"But you see," Hamish continued, leaning over to catch her gaze, "That is why I want to speak with you. I have...question."

"Yes?"

Hamish was silent for a moment, struggling to find the right words, "...I have been meditating long time on this. Since you and I spoke on first day." He paused. "You are very brave young woman, but hearing you going to such dark place on your own. I feel....that is wrong."

Hamish's eyes asked permission to continue. "Go on." Selene said.

He smiled in thanks. He spoke softly, carefully considering each word, "Well. I am quite strong, and I have been looking for next place to go. So I am here wondering..." He took in a deep breath, finally getting to the point, "If you would allow me to join you."

Her eyes widened, shocked. "What?"

"I could accompany you in Syndramire." He shifted, sharing in her discomfort, "I have spent much time meditating. Every time, I feel same. I think I am to go with you to this place. Syndramire. To...watch your back, as they say?"

Selene pursed her lips. She had never thought about making this trip alone, but she also never thought about traveling with company.

Adventurers usually travel in parties, right? Stories usually have the hero surrounded by a hearty crew or a merry band. Maybe I should...

No. How could I trust he wouldn't betray me? The journey is hard enough, how can I handle betrayal as well? There's no way...

Selene struggled with how to respond.

Hamish spoke softly, worry creasing his brow, "You have been alone long time, yes? My apologies if I made uncomfortable. I do not mean disrespect. But...you go to such bad place on your own. I can not let one so young...I only meant-"

A wave of shame suddenly came over her, as Hamish stumbled over his words. He's only trying to help me...and I'm supposed to be better. I need to be better, but here I am thinking like I'm still Rieta.

I'm not. I'm Selene. Selene Bryseis.

She answered weakly, "...yes."

"...and I would-Pardon?" he stopped mid-sentence.

She responded, more determined this time. Her eyes were slightly watering, "Yes....I would like that, Hamish."

Hamish was silent for a time. "Then...good."

He laughed, "Like I said, I go like leaf on breeze. I believe breeze take me here, to you, but would never follow without permission."

Selene chuckled, the mood slowly lifting, "Yeah, might be fun to have you around. Just don't steal my spotlight, okay?"

"Haha!" His voice returning to its usual tone as he smiled warmly, "I could not even if I tried, Selene."

The next few days passed quicker than normal, as the two spoke and began planning for the future.