Session 4.4: Into Lendrigol

Chapter IV: The First Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final preparations were short.

The party traveled light, so the only key items remaining were rations, the potion, and the compound. In the case things went south, it was decided each member would carry a portion of the supplies. Hamish volunteered to take the bulk, as he was by far the strongest physically and could carry the most with the least trouble.

Selene begrudgingly accepted the added weight. She could not argue with the logic of keeping her own rations, should the party get separated.

By the time the final preparations were complete, dawn arrived.

All was silent on the streets of Lendrigol. The streets were slick with a pale morning dew, and the salted air frigid. Around the tower, there were still parts obscured by low hanging misty tendrils. The omnipresent fog lifted lethargically as the sun rose into the sky. The rising of the mists gave way to a milky haze that obscured the world past a certain distance, making any kind of long distance sight difficult or impossible.

Nearby, no signs of the activity from the night could be seen. It created an odd illusion, as if the events of the night prior never occurred, and were naught but a bad dream.

A nightmare born from mists and shadows.

"Spooky." Selene whispered to herself.

Jezran nodded, "Yes, that's a good word for it. Hopefully it stays like that and the creeps will be all we need to worry about for a while."

"Everyone stay near the center of the street where possible, we want to avoid getting too close to alleys," Argent stated as he strapped an assortment of weapons to holsters across his chest and waist, "Jezran, stand in the center of the group. As our guide, keep focused on the path ahead. We'll need to plan when and where to turn in advance so we don't find ourselves trapped."

Everyone gave their affirmation. Jezran, holding the Orb in his hand, whispered a spell and gazed into a blue light that began emanating from within the magical device.

"We need to go this way," Jezran said, pointing down the street, "It continues straight as far as I can see."

Argent nodded, "Good, let us know if anything changes," he then turned to the party and said, "The rest of you, stay alert. Jezran cannot assist in keeping watch while he's focusing his mana."

"But I can assist if we do run into anything," Jezran said, "I can carry my own weight in a fight, as the need arises."

"We'll need to keep chatter to a minimum," Argent continued, then turned to Selene, "Selene, stay close to me. I don't want you out of my sight."

Selene was about to object, but Argent's commanding presence silenced any protest. She simply nodded.

"Good, let's move everyone!" Argent said, and so began their trek into the ancient ruins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the day passed slowly. They moved quickly, always on guard for danger, yet nothing of note occurred.

Selene was not sure if she should be disappointed or happy for the unremarkable first day.

As dusk approached, Argent insisted they look around to find a suitable shelter.

"We'll want a building as secure as the tower for the night," Argent said as the mists around them turned shades of amber, "They will need to be above ground level, preferably second floor, with a single exit we can barricade."