Session 9.4: Before the Deluge

Chapter IV: Deluge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the governor was brought up to speed on the situation, work began immediately. The governor quickly made a call to summon all the high ranking members of the Wall to his estate, which appeared to be the central hub of the Hollow.

While the population of the Hollow was small, the majority of the residents were soldiers, either serving the Governor directly, such as Ser Jacob, or finding themselves as part of the garrisons on the Wall.

All were summoned to deal with this threat, including representatives from the civilian population organized into a militia to coordinate resources and build up the defenses.

The party was also invited, though it was quickly decided that only Hamish, Argent, and Jezran would attend. Jezran, with his magic, would need to be involved so he can advise positions where magic might suffice where metal would fail. Hamish needed to explain his plan for protection and what would be needed for the channelling. Argent's experience in combat alone was enough, but it seemed he also had a few ideas he hoped to share with the leaders that may assist with the defenses.

After the summons were sent, the party decided to wait by the door to the war room.

Captain Braigh, the head of the troops on the wall, entered with a company of Sergeants in tow, including Bastion, who offered a friendly wave to the group as they passed.

Braigh was a dwarf, one that appeared almost pulled from the mountain stone of his people. Experience marked his brow with countless wrinkles and scars. His beard was white, with speckles of red. His armour, in contrast, appeared practically in mint condition. Flawless dwarven armour gleamed like a gemstone.

He eyed Argent for a moment, then spoke, "Do I know you, elf?"

Braigh's voice was slow and deep, comparable to the movements of earth and stone deep in the earth.

Argent eyed him a moment as well, then shrugged, "I can't say I recognize you, but I've seen my fair share of battle and fought by the side of many of your brethren. The only soldiers I knew that fought better drunk than sober."

Braigh laughed loudly, "HA! Cannot argue with that, but the time for drinking can come after planning. Come, walk with me and let's reminisce. I've a good eye for faces and would like to know if I go to war with a brother."

Argent turned to the group, who all shrugged.

"We were planning on joining them anyway, might as well take the chance to get acquainted," Jezran said.

Argent nodded, and followed the dwarf inside.

Soon after, Ebna, the barkeep from the Silver Maré, appeared with a few other civilians. Gone were the common clothes she wore serving drinks, now dressed head to toe with leather armour. It was simple in make, but it was well oiled and appeared in good condition. She stopped and motioned for the others to enter as she approached the party.

Crossing her arms, she eyed the party with curiosity, "Surprised to see you all here..."

"Is long story," Hamish said, "We had long adventure outside walls, discovered planned attack on Hollow. What are you doing here?"

"I'm one of the leaders of the militia, we were summoned to discuss battle plans," Ebna said, then she sighed, "Guess this means the Governor was right after all...damn."

"No need for that language," Jezran said.

"You can say that after we're done building barricades and preparing for war," she said, bitterly.

"If it's so bad, why not run?" Selene found herself asking.

Ebna eyed her suspiciously, "Why, you think I'm yellow?"

"No! I just..." Selene said quietly, "What's the point? Why fight at all? I'm sure we could plan some way out of here. I just...don't get it."

Ebna nodded, "I think I see where you're coming from. There was a time I would probably feel the same. Best to shove out when you can, especially if the odds ain't in your favour."

She then placed a strong hand on Selene's shoulder, looking her square in the eye, "But I made a home here. These people are my people, and this Hollow, for all its crap, and believe me, it has a lot, it's still where I belong. It's my home, and I'll fight to defend it, even if I never did care much for fighting."

At that, Ebna moved to rejoin the other members of the militia. Selene mulled over her words for while Jezran and Hamish soon followed the rest inside the war room.

The doors soon shut with a loud thud, leaving Ari and Selene to themselves.

"C'mon, let's go for a walk while they talk," Ari said while patting Selene on the back.

"Wait, why aren't you in there, Ari?" Selene asked, "I know Jezran is going so he can suggest magical solutions, but your magic could also be a help."

She shrugged, nonchalantly, "I never was one for these kinds of talks. Argent knows what I can do, so he can tell them how best I can assist."

"So you've been in these kinds of situations before?" Selene eyed her, curiously.

Ari smirked, "Perhaps..."

Selene wanted to ask more, but Ari made no further responses to her question.

The two wandered outside the Governor's quarters in silence. Eventually, they found their way to the docks, which were quiet for the time being. As they approached where the Admare docked, they could see the crew running about on deck. Captain Renik stood alone out on the dock, watching the waters. The surface of the waters barely moved, and any motion or waves were nonexistent.

The creak of the wooden boards in the dock signalled their approach. Renik turned back to see them, a smirk touched his lips as he turned back to face the waters.

"Everything all resolved then?" Renik asked.

Ari nodded, "They're currently planning how best to defend the Hollow."

"Well, they can have their plans. No matter what happens, my boys and I will be by the port," Renik declared, "We'll give 'em hell if they try anything here."

"So you're not planning on leaving?" Selene asked.

The captain huffed, "Too late for that, I'm afraid."

"What do you mean?" Selene asked.

"Air's wrong, water's gone silent. It's a calm before the storm," he said, "Live on the sea long enough, you know when's the time to run and when's the time to batten down the hatches and prepare to try and outlast."

The two came and stood by him. Selene was not well versed in such matters, but she could see Ari tense beside her.

"You're right," Ari said, "I feel it, too. We don't have long now..."

The trio were silent for a time, staring at the waters ahead.

"Ever seen a deluge?" Renik asked, breaking the silence, "I did once, 'twas but a mere lad. Water in the port drained 'til there ain't a speck of water. Exposed the seabed 'fore a wave came o'er the horizon. Folks knew to get up to high ground."

"What do you do when you can't find high ground?" Selene asked.

Renik turned towards the ocean once more, watching as the waves lapped at the shoreline.

"Same thing you do when there's a storm on the open ocean. You batten down the hatches, prop up the barricades, and pray to whatever god is listening that you live to see clear skies once more."

Selene swallowed, but said nothing. The three continued to watch the waves for a time. After a while, they returned to the Governor's manor. The meeting ended shortly after they arrived.