Session 9.3: Before the Deluge

Start from the beginning

He's like...a giant frog. Selene thought to herself as he crouched down low and sprung up into the air.

The airborne half orc rose up to the top of the wall, then grabbed the ledge and pulled himself over the lip. Shortly after, Selene's rope was dropped down.

"Even with the rope, be careful everyone. These spikes are dangerous, and I would not be surprised if they are covered in poison...or worse. Just let Hamish pull you up, one at a time," Argent explained.

Selene was the first to go up. She squeaked as the rope seemed to spontaneously pull her up to the top of the wall. As she reached the top, she saw Hamish with one hand on the rope and the other out to help pull her up. She gladly accepted the proffered hand and stood beside him a moment later.

"Wow," Selene whispered, staring off into the distance. The wall of the fortress was higher than the wall surrounding it, so she got a clear view of the Hollow around them. The algae from the city streets glowed strong enough to be seen under the haze. For the first time since she arrived, Selene marvelled at this strange world where she now found herself.

Hard to believe it's only been a few days. So much has happened already...

Selene allowed herself to be lost in her thoughts as the rest of the party were pulled up.

Once Argent, the last member was pulled up to the top of the wall, he immediately scanned the area around them.

"Does anyone see an entrance into the interior?" he asked.

Everyone glanced about for a moment, then shook their heads. The top of the building was surprisingly blank, save for a few ramparts marked by simple artillery placed around the perimeters.

Jezran pulled out the Orb, pondering it for a moment as he studied the magical currents. He then sighed, "It appears this roof is enchanted. Possibly with some kind of illusion magic."

"Might be unnecessary," Hamish said, "Where is Governor study?"

"Corner room, top floor," Jezran said without hesitation.

Ari narrowed her eyes, "Wait, you're not thinking of breaking anything to get in, are you?"

Hamish shook his head, "Just use magic to open ceiling, we can go drop right on top of him."

Jezran's eyes widened, and then he nodded, "Good idea."

Quickly, they followed Jezran to the corner above the Governor's study. Pulling out his focus, Jezran quickly performed the Passage spell. For a second, the spell appeared to fail with nothing happening.

Then, it suddenly sprang open.

"Odd," Jezran muttered, but shrugged, "On we go."

Seeing the wizard unfazed, the party leapt through the Passage together.

Only to find themselves immediately swallowed in an all-consuming pitch black.

"Jezran, did you close the Passage behind us?" Ari asked.

He did not respond immediately. Selene looked around in confusion. Normally her eyes would start adapting to the dark quickly. They did not.

A moment later, Jezran spoke the words Selene was thinking.

"Oh, that's not good," Jezran said.

"What now?" Selene asked.

"I...think this is more of that enchanted darkness, but I can't cast a spell to affect it," Jezran said, frustrated.