Chapter 17- Aftermath

As the party wearily began the journey back to Camelot Merlin recalled to Arthur all that had happened to them, well twisting it a bit to avoid mentioning his magic. Arthur, for once, was listening intently to Merlin’s tale. “What? So she was some sort of clone?” He asked when Merlin told him about Eirawen.

“No, she was just an ordinarily girl but I think she believed she was Eirawen, she must have been enchanted.” Merlin explained. Then he went on to say how Eirawen had saved them by giving the chance to escape Morgana and how she had most likely perished in the now ruined castle. Arthur nodded solemnly, “I see.” He said. Merlin glanced to the back of the group to where Gwaine slowly trudged through the snow without a sound. Merlin was worried; if Gwaine wasn’t talking then it must be serious.

A few hours later they came to a small clearing in a forest where the snow was thin. “We will make camp here.” Arthur said as the nearest village was much too far to walk to before dark. Once camp was made the men all sat around the fire as Merlin cooked some rabbit Arthur had shot. Arthur noticed the mood of his men was quiet; they all seemed lost in thought. “What happened to you all? When Morgana took you from that mirror room?” Arthur asked. For a moment nobody replied but then Percival spoke up. “There-there was my reflection, but it could talk. It reminded me of my secrets, and then, then it showed me my family.” He said and looked as if he considered continuing before deciding against it. “I think it found someone close to us we had lost and brought them back, but blaming us for what happened to them.” Elyan said. “Oh.” Was all Arthur could say, no wonder they were quiet. Suddenly Gwaine got up from the log he had been sat on and walked over to the edge of the clearing. “Is he alright?” Leon asked looking up to see what Gwaine was doing. Merlin shrugged. “Is anyone?” was his reply.

“Good point.” Leon said as he looked back at Gwaine and sighed before turning back to the fire.

A while later Merlin walked over to Gwaine who was lying on his back on the thin layer of snow. He knelt down next to him and held out a leg of rabbit to him. “We saved you some.” Merlin said. Gwaine just sighed and rolled over. “Uh, bit rude.” Merlin said but Gwaine didn’t move. “Oh come on, you have got to eat!”

“Merlin, just, leave me alone.” Gwaine said quietly. Merlin sighed,

“You can’t stay here; you’ll catch a cold like Percival did. Then the title sneezy will be passed to you.” Merlin said smiling but Gwaine ignored him. Merlin sighed before making his way back to the fire. 

Gwaine couldn’t understand it, she had betrayed them, she had lied, yet she had helped save them. She had given her life to help give them a chance. Gwaine’s heart ached as he thought of it. He felt empty, as if someone had hollowed him out. It felt as if there was a hand around his heart, ripping and tearing it from his chest. His thoughts bounced around in his head hitting off the walls of his skull, jumbling together. But he just lay there, gazing up at the stars that light up the sky like thousands of gems glittering in the moonlight.

An hour later the quite sound of snoring and the crackling of the fire filled the air. Leon sat by the fire, his hands outstretched towards the heat of the flames. He looked to the edge of the clearing where Gwaine was still sat, he was throwing chestnuts at a tree trunk much to the delight of the squirrel who was scurrying up and down the trunk collecting the nuts and taking them back to its nest high in the branches. “At least someone’s happy.” Leon said referring to the squirrel that was now sat on a branch nibbling on a nut. “When you have quite finished feeding squirrels maybe you would like to join me by the fire where it is actually reasonably warm.” Leon said. Gwaine sighed and threw the last nut in the squirrel’s direction before getting to his feet and walking over to the fire. They sat in silence for a while just watching the flames dancing and winding around the wood. “I’m sorry about Eirawen.” Leon said but Gwaine just huffed. “Don’t pretend you don’t care, you’re a terrible liar.”