Chapter 12- Double act

“Now this isn’t the first time we have seen someone who looks like us is it.” Other Elyan grinned. “I don’t understand.” Elyan said.
“Oh but you do, how could we forget our dear brother.” Other Elyan said.
“I don’t have a brother.” Elyan replied but his voice was shaking.
“Well not anymore. Not for a long time but we still remember, how could we not.” Other Elyan said and he was right, Elyan did remember, of course he did.

“She’s small.” Elyan said as he stared at his new born sister.
“and loud.” Ethan said as the baby stared to cry.
“Her name is Guinevere and she’s your sister.” His mother told them.
“Does she like playing?” Elyan asked.
“I don’t know, not yet, she’s too small but maybe when she’s older.” His mother said smiling. “Why do you two go and play now while I get some rest?”
“Ok!” They said together before running out of the room.

The young boys ran across the field wielding wooden swords. They laughed as they imagined they were noble knights on an important and magical quest. “Look! The tree of appleness!” Elyan cried.
“It looks just like an apple tree.” Ethan said gazing at the big strong branches.
“No! On it grows the sacred apple! We must collect it!” Elyan said.
“Of course! Where is it?” Ethan asked.
“Right up there!” Elyan said pointing to the highest branch of the tree. “Right you get it will I fend off the dragons that protect it!” Elyan said turning round and beginning to fight imaginary dragons.

The tree swayed gently in the breeze and Ethan clung on for dear life. He could see the apple not too far away from him and he began to shuffle along the branch towards it. He glanced down and could see his twin brother running about pretending to slay dragons far beneath him, oh how he wished to be down there, on the ground and not up high in those branches. He reached out a hand towards the shiny red fruit, his fingertips centimetres away from it. He pushed himself further out on the branch, then a bit further, and a bit further still; but then suddenly there was a sound of splintering wood and before Ethan knew it he was falling, falling towards the ground with no way of stopping.

Elyan looked at the crumpled body of his brother; he didn’t know what to do. “Ethan?” He asked kicking his brother’s arm gently, there was no reply; his brother lay still on the ground. Suddenly there was a quite whooshing sound and something feel to the ground at Elyan’s feet, he glanced down to see the apple; shiny, red and completely perfect.  

“Gwen never knew about her other brother did she, nobody ever felt the need to tell her, best just let him and all those sorrows be forgotten. Well that would have worked if he could truly have been forgotten but of course that was never going to happen was it.” Other Elyan grinned. “We caused our own brother’s death, it’s not really something you forget in a hurry is it?” 
“I didn’t mean to, it was an accident.” Elyan stuttered.
“Try telling him that.” Other Elyan said quietly.
“What?”
“Behind you.” Other Elyan said. Elyan turned around and there he saw him, there was Ethan.

“No, please, I’m sorry.” Morgana mumbled as she slept. Eirawen watched her capturer sleep and wondered what troubled her. Morgana’s face looked somewhat confused as she tossed and turned. Suddenly she cried out and shot up, her eyes wide with terror. She sat there panting for a moment before noticing Eirawen’s eyes trained on her. “What?!” She snapped.
“N-nothing, I just wondered if you were ok.” Eirawen said quietly.
“Ok? Why should you care if I were ok?” Morgana asked but her voice was not harsh merely confused. Eirawen shrugged, “I don’t know.” She said. Morgana stared at the girl chained to the wall, her hands bound above her head, her face pale and her hair matted. Nobody had shown concern for her in years. She didn’t quite know how to react. Slowly she got off the bed and walked over to Eirawen and with a flash of her eyes the chains binding the girls hands released and Eirawen slumped to the floor. Morgana bent down by the girl and took her wrists in her hands. Her wrists were red and in some places bleeding. “Gwella” She whispered and her eyes flashed amber and Eirawen’s wrists began to heal. “Thanks.” Eirawen muttered pulling her wrists back. “It’s ok.” Morgana said quietly. Morgana was confused; she was beginning to feel warmth towards this girl, but that wasn’t possible, she could have no feelings towards her if her plans were to succeed. She couldn’t have her feelings getting in the way.