Chapter 1- concealed in an ice coffin.

Reflections in Ice

Chapter 1- concealed in an ice coffin.

Her hair was as black as night as it fell in a cascade around her head, her skin was as white and pure as snow making her blood red lips shine out of her young face, her eyelids were closed concealing her beautiful emerald green eyes. The sleeping girl was dressed in an old red dress and cloak and all around her body were flowers. She was unaware of the ice surrounding her, sheltering her from the bitter winter wind. Grasped in her hand was the most precious thing she owned, the crystal, the blood red crystal that so many had died for, now clasped firmly in her hand as she slept. 

“Ow!” Arthur yelled as the ball of snow exploded on the back of his head. “Who threw that?!” He yelled angrily. Everyone one looked at each other and then to Gwaine who was staring at a tree trying not to make eye contact a ridiculous smirk on his face. “Gwaine!” Arthur yelled. Gwaine looked at him innocently.
“What! It wasn’t me!” He said before the snowball hit him in the face. “Umm…Tasty.” Gwaine said as the snow melted on his tongue. The others gave him disgusted looks. “What?” Gwaine asked, and then suddenly the cold kicked in sending a shiver down his spine. “Ow!” Percival cried as another snowball hit him. Elyan grinned and dodged when Percival sent one at him. Arthur received another one, from Merlin this time and soon they were in a full scale snowball fight. Snow was flying left right and centre. They were acting like school boys but they didn’t care. Gwaine ran through the tightly woven trees trying to escape Leon and Percival who were hot on his heels. He hide behind a tree to catch his breath but as he stood there panting he noticed something opposite him. Gwaine slowly approached and saw a young girl lying inside an ice case. “What the hell!” Gwaine exclaimed as he stood staring at the case. “There he is!” He heard Percival yell before he felt the snowball hit his head.
“Oi! You should see this!” Gwaine called back to them. When the others came they all stared in silence at the girl in ice. “Why is she lying in that?” Percival asked.
“I think it’s a coffin.” Arthur said solemnly.
“She’s beautiful!” Gwaine said staring at the girl. Percival elbowed Gwaine in the ribs to tell him now wasn’t the time. “What? Am I not allowed to complement people now?” Gwaine asked but nobody paid him any attention. Merlin slowly approached and placed his hands on the ice. He found the top, with a little persuasion, lifted off like a lid. He stared down at the beautiful young girl wondering what to do. “Is she alive?” Arthur asked as Merlin checked her pulse. Merlin was about to shake his head when he felt something, under his finger was the very slow and weak pulse of blood. “Yes..yes I think so” Merlin said.
“Why is she in there?” Gwaine asked as he tried to comb snowflakes from his hair with his fingers. “I don’t know but what I do know is we need to get her to Gaius as quickly as possible.” Merlin said resealing the lid. “Come on, we will carry her in it.”

Gaius got a very strange surprise when the four knights and King Arthur entered his chamber carrying what appeared to be an ice coffin with Merlin leading the way. “What are you doing? What’s going on?” Gaius asked as they set the coffin down on a table and Merlin began to explain what had happened.

“I see.” Gaius said as Merlin finished his story.
“What is going on Gaius? Who is she and why was she in that and what’s wrong with her?” Arthur asked.
“I am afraid, sire I do not yet have answers to those questions but I will set about finding them as soon as possible.” Gaius said.
“Of course, thank you Gaius.” Arthur said placing a hand on Gaius’s shoulder. ”Let me know when you find something.”