THE VISITOR

Delhi, India 2022

Aranya stood outside the prison gates; her heart heavy as she gazed at the tall walls that surrounded the facility. Her client, Miss Anjali Arora, had been locked up for the past few months on charges of pentagonal murder. Aranya had taken up her case, determined to prove her innocence. She had read the case files, but nothing could have prepared her for what she was about to witness.

As she entered the prison, she was immediately accosted by the jail staff. "Ma'am, you need to sign in and show your identification," one of the guards barked at her. Aranya complied, feeling a sense of unease.

She was led to a small room where Anjali Arora was being kept. The young woman looked tired and haggard; her eyes red from crying. Aranya approached her, trying to offer some comfort.

"Miss Arora, I'm Aranya, your lawyer," she said softly.

Suddenly, a group of jail-member girls entered the room, giggling and laughing. One of them was a police constable, who approached Anjali with a sly smile.

"Miss Arora, can I take a selfie with you and post it on social media?" she asked.

Aranya's blood boiled. This was illegal and cruel. She stepped forward, placing herself between the girls and Anjali.

"Stop this at once," she said sternly. "You have no right to harass my client like this."

The constable backed away, looking at Aranya with surprise. Anjali, on the other hand, seemed to have lost all hope. She let out a sob, tears streaming down her face.

"I don't want to live anymore," she cried. "I'm being harassed and imprisoned. I'm going to die here."

Aranya approached her, trying to calm her down. "Anjali, listen to me. I'm here to help you." She showed her the pictures of Anjali's son that she had collected on her last visit. "You have a son who needs you. You have to fight for your life, for his sake. "This is a picture of my son," she said. "He's all I have left."

Aranya took the photo, looking at it with sadness. She promised Anjali that she would do everything in her power to help her, and with that, she left the prison, her heart heavy with the weight of her mission.

Aranya nods, determination etched on her face. "I'll do everything in my power to make sure that you're given a fair trial and that you're not punished twice for the same crime. We'll fight against the death sentence and make sure that you're not given life imprisonment."