CH17 Demurral

After euphoria comes despair, and after despair comes desolation.

That's the exact series of emotions we went through after last night.

We woke up, went back to our families, and when we arrived, we were met with a distressed Jake and Neytiri.

"We're going back, now." Jake commanded as soon as we stepped foot onto our marui pod.

All at the same time, the siblings reacted.

"What? Why?"

"What happened?"

Meanwhile, Neteyam only remained quiet and did not question his father's orders any further unlike the two. He patted the back of Kiri and Lo'ak before speaking. "You heard him. Get your things."

On the other hand, Neteyam only looked at me, and I, knowing well enough what he was going to say, acted without him having to tell me what to do.

We got our belongings and went to our ikran's stationed at the end of the island. There, the Metkayina's awaited us, including Tonowari's family.

This was all so sudden.

We didn't know why we were going. But we knew we had to. Something afflictive must've happened back in the forest and we all could just assume who obviously caused it. There could only be one, anyway—sky people.

I looked at the faces of the people around us. Their eyes were filled with so much worry, more so with Tsireya's.

Lo'ak went to the trembling girl to give her a hug and after, we said our goodbye's.

Our stay with the reef people cannot be expressed enough with gratifying words. It was so little time yet I had the most fun there than I had with my week of stay in the forest. I don't know if it's because Neteyam and I are finally together, or it's because there are few to no humans there, or it's because I'm being absolutely delusional and turning away from the grim forthcoming.

___

Just like last time, it took us 2 days to travel back. During our journey, the parents, at last, told us why we had to go so suddenly and unexpectedly.

Their exact words were: "The forest and our people are dying. We're losing the war."

Turns out that as soon as we left, the humans increased their attacks. They got more brutal, violating, and ferocious. More of the human people's soldiers were sent to raids and more technology and artillery were used. I'm guessing they somehow took advantage of the family's absence, especially since some of the Na'vi people's strongest warriors are Sully's.

It wasn't hard to notice how Neteyam was feeling after hearing all that. Even the siblings sped up their bonds, knowing full well how dire the situation is. Probably, we all felt guilty and were just scared to admit the fact that while we were having the time of our lives, something bad was happening to our people.

Worst of all, the people didn't have a leader during such an important time.

And what happens when the chief's not present?

Easy enough to answer.

Internal conflict, low morale, slowed decision-making process.

Overall, lower, or rather, little rate of success.

Last week, I would've been completely elated to hear the news. Years after years, the Na'vi people would always win against the humans but now, after such a long time, we've got the upper hand.