40 - My First Mistake

Start from the beginning

"Why do you hate your father then? Shouldn't you be thanking him for taking you away from Parth? Because like you said you had some of your best memories in boarding school?" Akshara tried to reason.

"You...you don't know my father."

"No, Abhimanyu, I think it's you who doesn't know your father. I've been the love he has for you in his eyes. He does truly love you and wants what's best for you even though it doesn't feel like it sometimes."

"Just stop. I don't want to fucking talk about my father." Abhimanyu blurted out. His temper rising.

Akshara nodded her head looking at the pain in Abhimanyu's eyes. "Okay." She cleared her throat after a small pause. "Oh right. Where were we? Zaara. What happened to her?"

"Parth ended up transferring to the same University as Zaara and me. At first he apologized for the cheating scandal and said he wanted to start again, afresh, as cousins. Because we are both going to be doctors and it just makes sense to leave the past...in the past. Done and dusted. And like an idiot."

"You agreed." Akshara could feel it in her bones where the story was heading. And she hated every bit of it.

"I agreed. And soon, Zaara, Parth and I were on decent terms. Maybe it was because I was too in love, too naive or too trusting or simply choosing to turn a blind eye but now that I look back at it, there were so many times when Zaara and Parth had been flirting in front of me, being touchy feely but I simply just ignored it. Those hushed whispers, those sneaky glances...I should have noticed."

Abhimanyu paused to collect himself just as Akshara caressed his shoulders in silent support.

"The best was him telling me he can drop Zaara off to her hostel as it's on the way to his apartment." Abhimanyu scoffed.

"How did you..."

"Find out? Zaara had told me she was going to be at a friend's house for a sleepover. I thought it would be the perfect time for me to catch up on some Chemistry notes which Parth had borrowed from me. When I went to retrieve them, I know something was wrong when Parth opened the door, naked from waist up. He was stuttering for words, trying to get me to leave, looking worriedly towards the bedroom. And that's when I saw it. The scarf I had gifted her laying on the living room sofa along with a bra, underwear and the rest of her clothing. He tried to stop me, but I needed to know. I had a feeling, Akshara but the reality of the situation doesn't hit you until you see it with your own two eyes."

"As I entered the room, against Parth's will —against my will, there she was, sitting naked on his bed, clutching a sheet to her chest. I was heartbroken, Akshara. Absolutely shattered. She had been my first, my only love. My first kiss. My first...everything. But Parth stole that from me too. You know, it wouldn't have hurt me if she'd broken up with me first before dating Parth, but being left in the dark, the feeling that you're not enough and that's why they had to wander elsewhere, is what hurts."

"Abhimanyu..." Akshara didn't know what to say, how to pacify him. She had never been in love before. So she had no idea what Abhimanyu must have felt at that time. But to carry the baggage all those years? Baggage that wasn't even his fault —now that was unhealthy.

"She tried to tell me it was a mistake. Tried apologizing. But I was just too hurt. Being cheated on is a horrible feeling. So I ended the relationship. Told her to go her separate way and I'll go mine. But before that, I asked her one question —why. She told me it was because Parth was hot, a charmer, someone who is experienced. That she wasn't looking for anything serious, just wanting to have fun and that I overwhelmed her with my concern and care. That she wasn't looking for a forever after, at least not now. Not with me."