chapter 16

On Friday night, the two girls came home for dinner. They had decided not to go out on Friday night and had stayed with Maya's parents.

As usual, they were on the small couch and Lane, Katherine and Mason were on the big one. They were watching an old-fashioned horror movie, I Know What You Did Last Summer.

They had a blanket over them and were in shorts and t-shirts. Carina's legs were cross-legged and one of her thighs was resting a little on Maya's, as it often does.

The blonde had again, as several days before caught a piece of the Italian's shorts between her index and middle fingers and began to caress her skin by passing her finger under the fabric, very lightly.

Carina had rested a little more her leg on that of the blonde. She had crossed her arms under the plaid and with her fingers she had caressed the palm of Maya's hand that was touching her leg.
They both had sweaty hands but they didn't care one way or the other.

The next day everyone had had a chance to sleep in, more or less. Lane had planned for them to leave after lunch.

In the morning, the kids had done their homework so they would have some peace on Sunday when they got home from Maya's race.

After lunch they had hit the road and Carina had been designated by the Bishop brother and sister to be in the middle in the car.

The Italian felt watched and divided by the brother and sister, both of whom demanded her attention.
Whenever Maya wanted to say something to her, she would come up to her face to talk in her ear, even if it wasn't something important or secret. But it was the action, talking in Carina's ear, and seeing the fuzz on her face and neck awaken from the goosebumps she was giving her and the way their cheek brushed against each other that made the blonde want to talk to her again and again.

Mason had finally put on his headphones and the children's parents, were talking to each other.

-"I'm glad you chose to come instead of going to Andy's," Maya said once again in Carina's ear.

Carina had turned her face away and they were within millimeters of her cheek, close to her lips.

-"Me too" she whispered.

- "even if it's boring?"

The brunette had brought her mouth close to her ear, "I never get bored when I look at you."

Arriving in Salem, they had gone straight to their room and dropped off their luggage for the night.

-"Your parents don't want us to take your brother?"

- "If my father could, I would sleep alone, to avoid distractions."

Carina had come to stand behind Maya.

- "because I am a distraction?"

Someone had knocked on the door.

-"I'm coming," said the blonde.

- "you have only one bed!" Said Mason while entering the room.

- "oh yeah, well I'll have to sleep with Carina!" Said she before turning to Mason and whispering "aren't you jealous?"

He had then pushed her.

- "Shall we go? Mommy and daddy asked me to come get you."

He had gone towards the door and Carina had caught Maya by the arm.

- "Had to?"

- "one of us isn't going to sleep on the floor..."

- "I can go sleep on the couch in the room or go sleep with your parents and Mase"