Mostly Arguing

Once 42 students crossed the finish line, the school quickly moved onto their next event. And cavalry battle where your placement from the obstacle course race determines your points.

Y/n sat comfortably with 125 points on their own. However, they needed a team.

Their classmates were quick to form their own teams and completely ignored Midoriya Izuku, who sat uncomfortably with 1 million points. They felt a bit bad for him, but--more importantly--they felt bad for themself.

Many students crowded around Bakugou who only insulted the group. After getting her coat returned, Yaoyorozu was pulled into a team to complete the 4. All of the people they had slowly befriended were nowhere to be seen. Even those they had brief interactions with, such as Tokoyami and Ojirou, were taken.

"Looks like you scared your class away," Shinsou chastised from behind them.

Gritting their teeth, Y/n faced him. They had some energy left to spare on his face. "Thought you were mad at me?" they grumbled, shoving their clenched fists into their pants' pockets.

"Still am," he said, lazily crossing his arms. He grinned although the bitterness still lingered in his eyes, "Now, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Which do you want?"

Y/n stayed quiet and rolled their eyes.

"Worth a shot," he shrugged turning away.

"I know you want to prove a point," Y/n said, grabbing onto his arm. "I didn't mean to undermine you in any way, and I'm sorry I upset you. But, I did mean it when I said you're here because you have potential. We could make a great team, if you would just give me a chance."

Just like the first day they spoke, Shinsou felt a strange tightness in his chest. It made him shiver in disgust. "You're just saying that because you know my Quirk."

"I'm saying this because we're similar," they said. "And we have the chance to prove everyone from Nabu wrong."

His eyes turned away from theirs before a second before smiling. "So you'll join my team?"

Y/n returned the smile, letting go of his arm. "We're friends, right?"

"Friends help each other out," Shinsou nodded. "My team is over here."

It was exciting for Y/n to be so straightforward about such a thing that would usually make them so embarrassed. They were glad to have apologized to Shinsou so that they could become friends. In the past, they wouldn't have considered speaking with him again. Middle school Y/n would have followed through on socking him in the face. It was nice to feel different from their past self who only caused trouble.

Somehow, Shinsou had already convinced Ojirou and another 1-A boy to join his team.

"Hey," Y/n greeted their classmates. Both didn't respond. They thought it fair since Ojirou seemed a bit shy when they trained together, but him ignoring them still hurt their pride a bit.

"You're going to be at the front," Shinsou said, quickly patting them on their shoulder. "I need someone who can take an attack like you."

"Alright," they muttered. For the sake of having an easy job, they initially wanted to be the rider but it did make more sense for them to be the front of the horse like he said.