Chapter 24

Piper

When I heard the news, I practically jumped out of my chair. Jason was out of Tartarus. I held little Chris who was now at a strong 5 pounds. The docotrs want to keep him until he's around 7 but all I really needed was to hold him.

"The Argo is set to be here in 2 days" said Nico with a smile. I nodded, too enchanted by my son's eyes to really care about half of that. We still had to wear the crazy yellow gowns but we were out of the premies room and into the regular NICU which was a step in the right direction.

"He looks like Jason" I whispered as I pushed back a piece of his hair with my finger tips. His skin was so soft and warm. Just a week ago, his skin was weak and paper-like, almost tranlucent, now he was healthier and stronger.

Chris let out a cry that sounded more like a kitten meowing than an actual babies cry. I reached for a bottle with my free hand and began to feed him.

"He does, beautiful, just like his mom" said Nico, putting his hand on my shoulder. I smiled. Nico and I have gotten closer over the past few months, he was now one of my best friends. Him and Rachel were just great together, they gave me hope that Jason would come back to me.

"I wonder how Chris is going to get back to the future" I said looking up at me. Nico pursed his lips and I knew something was wrong. "Can he not get back? Is he stuck?" I asked, confused. "Piper, not everyone made it out of Tartarus" he said, pain in his voice. I gasped, holding little Chris tighter to my chest.

"He's gone?" I choked out. Nico nodded and grabbed my hand. "Listen, Chris isn't gone. He's right here in your arms. He would have been gone anyways the second he got out of Tartarus, it just happened a little differently" he said.

I just nodded, unable to speak. He may exsist anymore but he did at one point, he was my little angel and he died without getting to say good bye. Looking down at little Chris, I began to cry. Not a big dramatic sobbing, but quiet slow crying.

"Do you want me to him?" Nico asked, holding out his arms to take little Chris but I shook my head. "No, I think I just need to stay here with my son" I whispered. Nico nodded. "If you need me, I'll be right outside" he said.

I looked down at Chris and kissed his little head. "I'll never leave you, I promise".

The next day was hard. I stayed in the NICU the whole day. Over night, Chris gained 3 ounces which was yet another small victory.

The Argo was making better time than expected and was set to be here around 9 pm. The camp was preparing for the welcome home party. Frankly, I didn't care about the party, I just wanted my husband back.

Whilst in the NICU all day, I had a lot of time to think. For all Jason knew, I hadn't given birth to Chris yet. He has no idea that for a solid week, our son was fighting for his life. I had no idea how to explain that. I felt somewhat guilty, the whole reason Chris was born early was due to my "condition". Jason had a right to know sooner.