Chapter 22

Annabeth

I stood at the bow of the boat, the cool sea breeze blowing against my face. It was a sort of bitter sweet affair. I stood breathing in the sea, breathing in him but I couldn't feel nor see him. It hurt but I suppose feeling pain is better than feeling nothing at all, at least when you're feeling for someone.

The previous night, while speaking to Charlie and Zoe over Skype, Zoe said her first word, it was "mommy". Technically, her first words to me went along the lines of "Mom? Dad? You're alive?" but I tried not to count that. The worst part was, not being able to tell them why both mommy and daddy were gone. They always had at least one of us. I tried to explain it but tramatizing them wasn't going to help so I just smiled and promised them I would be home.

Despite seeing them just 4 days ago and whenever they were availible for Skype, my heart still ached to see my kids. I was just so done with missing everyone. I just had to get through this, get through saving the world one last time then I can go home to my husband and to my kids.

"We are about an hour out, do you have a plan as to how we approach this?" asked Frank from behind me. I turned around, earlier, we had a meeting on board on how exactly we were to get in to Tartarus. I had to leave. It was too much, after fighting for so long to get those memories away, I was going right back into the belly of the beast.

Even with Hazel reminding me that I didn't have to go in if I couldn't handle it but I knew there was no way in hell those idiots would be able to handle Tartarus alone, I have to go back, if not for my friends but for Percy.

"Annabeth? A plan?" asked Frank, clearly impatient. "Yeah, um, we do so with caution" I said with a quick smile before walking past him, back to my room.

Once in the safety of my own bedroom, I began suiting up. I got all my armor and everything I would need. I began to feel pain in my ankle. It was happening more frequently as we neared Tartarus. Another painful reminder of what I felt going there the first time. Despite this, I knew it was nothing compared to what Percy was going through. I knew it should have been me to go down there but he wouldn't have it. Even if I did go down, Percy would find a way to be with me, which only made me feel more guilty about this whole thing. The last thing we need is for Percy to have another psycotic episode.

I heard a knock at the door. Groaning, I yelled "Come in!". I turned to see Hazel standing there in full body armor. "Hey" she said with a fake smile which only made me want to vomit.

"Don't, I am perfectly fine. I am going down there" I said as I shoved my boot on. "I know, I just wanted to let you know that baby Chris' surgery went well and by next week, he should be off the ventilator" she said. I couldn't help but smile.

On his first day, he wasn't expected to make it over night, now he is almost 2 weeks old and strong.

"Thats great" I said. I stood up and looked in the mirror, Hazel walking up next to me. I stared at us, in full body armor, ready to kill. We looked like warriors.

"When do we get to stop doing this?" I asked. Hazel chuckled. "I don't know, but we look hot" she said. I laughed. "Come on, lets get a meal in before we go to the deepest depths of hell shall we?" I said offering my arm to her. Hazel nodded, taking my arm as we skipped to the lunch hall.