Chapter 22

They continued to walk through the forest until a rather tall wall became visible in the distance. Dredge looked at Lucien and nodded, before both of them put up their hoods and pulled them over their eyes in order to hide their faces. Upon seeing this, the rest of the group also put up their hoods and pulled them over their eyes, knowing full well that they were about to reach the gate. Raziel was a little confused but put up his hood anyway, keeping his head down as his hood was not large enough to cover his eyes.

"Alright, we are about to reach the hidden entrance. I shall do most of the talking, once I have introduced you as my 'extended family' King Lucien shall step in and initiate phase cider." Dredge stated.

"Plan cider? Wait did you two name the plan while I was talking to April?" Edward asked.

"We did. If you did not wish to be left out then you should not have held a conversation with her while we were on a time-sensitive mission." Albas told him.

Edward sighed.

"Maybe I should have spent my time talking to you instead."

"Yes, you should have. Then you would have been filled in."

Edward's face went bright red and he smirked at Albas, leaning in close and whispering into his ear:

"Oh, you would have filled me in, would you~?"

"Exactly."

"You could always do that now, we'd only be away from the group for five minutes~"

"Why would we need to stray away from the group in order for me to fill you in on the plan?"

"Oh, you meant on the plan, right." Edward said, looking a little embarrassed.

"Of course, what did you think I meant?"

"Um, well I uhh... Nevermind."

Albas looked a little confused but didn't push the question further.

The group began to move towards the wall, however Edward wasn't paying attention to where he was going and tripped over a tree root. Albas helped him up and sighed.

"You really should look where you are going, Edward."

"Yeah I know..."

"You have something on your mind, don't you?"

"How did you-"

"I can tell." Albas interrupted, "Would you like to discuss it with me?"

Edward looked into Albas's beautiful brown eyes and blushed a little.

"Ok, just promise you won't hate me."

"Why would I hate you?"

"Well..." Edward took a deep breath, "I like you."

"Is that it?"

Edward nodded.

"Why would I hate you for that? I would be more worried if you did not like me, we are friends after all."

"No like, romantically. I'm into you, Albas."

"Ah, I see. How long have you been romantically interested in me?"

"Since we first met eleven years ago."

"You chose to keep quiet about it for that long?"

"Yeah."

"Why? It must have been so difficult for you."

"I just kinda assumed you were straight and didn't think you were interested in me, like at all. I also didn't wanna mention it while you were into Lucinda and after she died I figured I couldn't tell you because I didn't think you were over her." Edward explained.

"While I have only ever been romantically involved with women, I am curious as to what it would be like with a man. Perhaps we could kiss and see where it goes from there?"

Edward nodded, his blush darkening. Albas then leaned in and kissed him softly, his luscious lips locking with his in a blissful act of experimental passion. Edward felt himself melting into the kiss and deepening it, but Albas pulled away.

"Are you ok?" Edward asked, wondering why he pulled away.

"I'm sorry, Edward. That did not feel right to me at all, but I am glad that I tried it."

"Oh, ok. At least you know for sure now."

"Indeed. This will not make things awkward between us, will it?"

"I hope not."

Albas then rejoined the rest of the group with Edward following behind heartbroken...