Chapter 9

Everybody left the meeting room and went to the kitchen, everybody filling their pockets with food from the cupboards that did not need to be cooked and could last for at least a month. Once they had done that, Lucien wrote down instructions on how to care for Raziel and Buster and left them on the kitchen counter for the servants. He then went to leave the kitchen but was stopped in his tracks when a small puppy with red, cat-like eyes ran up to him, wagging its tail and panting. The puppy was roughly the same shape as a German shepherd but with shorter fur and longer ears that somewhat resembled devil horns, it also had a pair of bat-like wings and incredibly sharp black claws. Its fur was mostly dark grey, however its paws and snout were a deep shade of charcoal and its tail, the fur along its back and the marking on its head that resembled a widow's peak were jet black. The frame of its wings were the same deep shade of charcoal as its paws and snout, however the sections of its wings that contained no bones were dark grey.

"Woah, I've never seen a dog with wings before." Edward stated.

"I believe this may be a Bat-Winged Phosmon, a rare breed of winged hellhound that was thought to have gone extinct. I have read about them before, however I have never seen one in the flesh." Albas said in awe, jotting down a few notes in his notebook and taking a picture of the puppy.

"You are correct. His name is Buster, he was a gift from my father." Lucien told him.

He then picked up the puppy and put it in the living room. He then stretched and left the castle, walking down the castle steps with the rest of the group in pursuit. He made his way to the supposedly-haunted forest surrounding Lake Destiny. 

The forest had been given the name 'the forest of grim fates' by the locals due to the rumours that anybody who entered the forest would be cursed to die and would be doomed to haunt the forest for all of eternity, however Lucien didn't believe those rumours. He used to play in the forest when he was young and used to camp near Lake Destiny with Constantine in his teenage years, he had been there so many times that he knew the forest like the back of his hand. Yes there were multiple skeletons in the forest that had been there for hundreds of years, but that is because the majority of people who enter the forest do so to end their own life, the rest tend to get lost in the forest due to the sheer scale of the place and die trapped in the forest after running out of supplies. As long as you keep track of where you've been you'll be able to find your way out, and of course if you know your way around as well as Lucien then there is no way that you could possibly become lost. As for the forest being haunted, that much is true, however the castle was inhabited by far more spirits than the forest due to the sheer amount of people that had been murdered in the torture chambers hidden deep inside the castle's basement.

He entered the forest, a wave of nostalgia washing over him as he did so. He absolutely adored this forest, he had made so many great memories here. He looked at the rest of the group, realising that they were not as fond of this place as he was. To say that each of them seemed unnerved would be an understatement.