Chapter Twenty

Tommy brushed his hand in his pocket; inside was a small box. In this small box was his mothers wedding ring.

Tommy was aware of Lord White's death through the many associates that lingered in the halls of both the rich and poor. Any information that was deemed highly lucrative was passed back on to the infamous gang leader. He figured Emily would be happy about the release of engagement that he wanted to make sure no one else could take her from him.

He was going to propose.

It was much earlier than he expected, but, she had arrived unexpectedly and he concluded the spontaneity would bring her comfort. He sensed her mood was low from her bleak responses; maybe this was an inappropriate time, but he just could not wait. It was the first time Thomas Shelby was going to improvise. Just as he was about to pull the box from his pocket, Emily interrupted.

"How do you know Lord White was dead?" Emily quietly interrogated whilst attempting to hold back an overwhelming sense of fury. She was convinced herself to remain calculated to deter any outbursts that she may regret later. The tone shifted and Tommy instantly let the box go in his pocket.

Tommy clicked his tongue and looked down. He had immediately sensed her dismay. He then briefly chewed his cheek before letting out a sigh and looking back up at her.
"Emily, you know I have spies all around the city".
"It's not even been 24 hours Tom!" Emily cried.
"Don't look at me like that. You know I wouldn't do that" He responded, understanding what she was insinuating.
"Wouldn't you?" She retorted emotionally, her eyes welling up with water.
He stared at her with disappointment.
"I would ask you to swear on the bible but you hold nothing sacred Tommy" She snapped and turned away to leave the room. Tommy grabbed her arm and pulled her back, hoping he would be able to change her mind, but instead, she pulled herself away and then proceeded to throw her hands at him in a fit of anger. He allowed her to rage at her without any opposition.
"You bastard!" She screamed as she pulled away and made herself distant from him.
"Em..." He sighed trying to move towards her.
"No, don't you dare come near me" she shook her head and took multiple steps back.
"I did not kill Lord White" He firmly stated.

The door suddenly swung open as John poured in; he was holding his gun up in preparation of violence.

"Is everything okay? We heard screaming from downstairs, we thought something was wrong" he innocently inquired.

"Nothings wrong John boy" Tommy reassured, "Emily and I are having a small disagreement".

Emily scoffed and placed her hand upon her forehead. "You are a cold blooded killer Thomas Shelby".

John looked puzzled as Tommy shook his head at him. Emily took her hand off her forehead and pointed her finger aggressively at him. "That red right hand of yours is stained with the blood of the innocent".

That same hand was going to propose a ring just moments earlier.

"Emily, please. Think of the stress you are putting on the baby" John spoke softly, putting his gun back in his coat.

She chose not to acknowledge John as tears rolled down her cheeks. "I wish I did not love you as I do Tommy, because I want to scream at you all the things I don't mean. But at this moment, I can't even bring myself to speak to you anymore". Emily picked up her belongings from his room and rushed out the door.

Tommy stood utterly despaired; even he couldn't form words that would aid her broken heart. All he knew is that he was not responsible for the death of Henry White. But he could not say or do anything that would convince her otherwise.

So, he let her go.

It was the only act of love he could grant her.

_____________

"Tommy?" John quietly muttered. Tommy was still staring; broken and empty.

"Tom?" John muttered again. Tommy pulled the box from his pocket and slammed it on the table, quickly exiting the room soon after.

John turned and picked up the box. He opened it, revealing his mothers ring. He immediately frowned and sighed a deep sadness...