As if sensing what I was looking at, it gave a heart-breaking whimper and nuzzled its head into my hand. I was usually terrified of dogs, or any animals really, but the one in front of me was just too adorable!

Suddenly, the fur ball looked up, but it wasnt at me. I didnt even have to look back to realise who it was. The man radiated so much power, everyone would struggle not to bow down to him. I was too scared to turn around. I was caught. It was time for my punishment now. I knew it was coming sooner or later. I was a fool to think that I could escape such a powerful man. Even if it was for his benefit.

I was so scared.

I bought my knees to my chest in attempt to make myself smaller, and shuffled back until my back was touching the door behind me. The tears were coming at full speed and I had trained myself to not make any noises. My arms were wrapped around myself securely, and I prepared for the worst.

This man had not shown me anything for me not to trust him, but so did my father at first. He would never hit me when I was younger, when my mother was alive, but after that, it was like a switch had been flicked on and he began to release all his anger out onto me. This man could be the same. The mistake of trying to leave could have been the thing to flip his switch and I was terrified of the consequences.

I sat there shaking, waiting for a hit, a kick, a punch, anything, but nothing came.

I lifted my head in time to see him crouched down next to me. I fiddled with my necklace with one hand and placed the other on the floor, the feel of the marble grounding me. He placed his hand close to mine, but not touching it.

I don't know how long we were sitting there for, but I eventually calmed down.

"Stai bene?", he whispered, playing with the drawstring of his joggers, almost as if he was nervous to ask.

Holding back my shock that he didn't hit me, I gave a hesitant nod and looked down at the ground as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"I know you were trying to leave", he breathed out, giving me a sad smile.

"I just...you dont need to be afraid of me. Ever. I can't even imagine what you've been through, but I can already see how brave you are", he continued.

I shook my head in denial. I was anything but brave. In fact, the dog with an injured leg laying near my feet was probably braver than me.

"I don't know how long it will take you to believe me, but I'll spend forever trying. Te lo prometto, mio girasole (I promise, my sunflower)."

We sat there in silence for a while until he let out a little laugh. I raised my head slightly, questioning his sudden change in mood and he seemed to have gotten the hint.

"I just realised that I never asked for your name", he replied, the corner of his mouth raising slightly.

Almost smiling myself, I didnt realise either. I guess I got used to the pet names he used, and honestly, I didn't want him to stop using them.

Without pen and paper, I didn't really have a way of communicating with him.

After thinking of a solution for a couple of seconds, I had an idea. Slowly, I raised my hands to my neck and flipped over the sunflower pendent.

"Liliana."

The way he said my name made goosebumps erupt across my skin and a faint blush to appear on my cheeks. No one had called me by that name except my mother and I didn't know how much I needed to hear it until he said it.

Forget the pet names, him saying my name was probably my most favourite sound. I gave him a shy nod and my cheeks felt as if they were caught on fire with the next thing he said.