Chapter #31

Eleven-thirty the apartment party was underway music pumping, drinks flowing, joints burning while mingling and dancing. Mel and Pete stayed in dress Jerry had taken the make-up off. Randal and Philip changed into slacks and cabana shirts and brought the Mermaid couple now casually dressed.

Nearing midnight security came up with the intention to stop it but were persuaded to turn a blind eye when Mel offered the last of Jerry's tity-fund.

Shortly after security left Adela Ortega disguised in Drag with cheap blonde wig and sequin dress slipped in. Armed with audio/video spy-cam brooch she's determined to out the Carrie Underwood imposter by wedding ring.

At the advantage Jerry spots her from behind in Drag and pointed her out to Jeff. A sore left finger alerts Jeff to the possibility Adela may have seen the ring. Unable to remove the ring Jeff tells Jerry to throw some pants on and met him outside, figuring now is the perfect time to hit Ira's jewelry store. Agreeing Jerry splits off for pants. Merely keeping an eye on Jerry, Tony's vision is directed by Jeff to Adela surveying party-goers. Crossing a pair of fingers Tony nods to Jeff before he eases out the door.

Observing Adela making small talk with guests Tony let's Mel know she's there most likely looking for Jeff. Catching Jerry exiting they figure nothing more to worry about let Adela mingle away. Knowing where J & J are off to Pete stated wishing to go. Not feeling Pete capable enough and wanting him out of criminal trouble Mel embarrasses Pete in front of Tony, Sadie, Randal and Philip. Left feeling a mere incapable boy when Tony backs up Mel frustrates Pete souring usually chipper mood.

Adding to their Adela concerns Harry in casual attire saunters in with one of his thirty-year old studs and begins small talk with a building tenant. Tony suggests they separate and keep tabs on both Harry and Adela.

Left sitting at the bar annoyed and alone Pete studies Harry recalling the scouting mission with Jeff to the penthouse. Figuring Harry is down here occupied his penthouse isn't and perhaps the patio doors are unlocked. Ready to prove cunningly capable Pete wanders off to put on street clothes.

***

Carefully scaling one of the fire escapes to the top of Ira's jewelry shop Jeff and Jerry attempt to be as quiet as rats in the night. The say nothing already with plan in mind break-in unconcerned with alarms get out before responding police can get to their location. Praying the number is a combination Jeff will seek a safe while Jerry searches for valuables.

At the top of the fire-escape Jeff looks down patios assessing which might be Ira's. Motioning Jerry to wait Jeff gets up onto the roof of the building. Once steady Jeff walks to the front of the building to locate the shop's entrance.

Watching Jeff climb up to the roof Jerry notices the main hydro coming into the building right beside the fire-escape's steel grated floor. If Ira is the only one of club 66 they're going to rob, Jerry would like to get as much as possible. If they didn't have to worry about an alarm, time could be taken. Jerry wonders if something heavy could be dropped onto the thick electrical wires to sheer them, cutting off power to the building.

On the immediate patio two 15' tall trees in large terracotta pots catches Jerry's attention. Entering the patio Jerry attempts to lift the trees but can only pick them up so far being heavy. Figuring that's the weight needed to break electrical wires Jerry tilts the pot to rock back'n'forth easing closer to patio wall and fire-escape railing.