The Land where a Hero once Lived

Sakura yawned from next to me. "I'm so bored!" I groaned, leaning back. "You two always this lazy?" I shot a glare to Tazuna.

Because Sakura and I have good chakra control, we were told to protect Tazuna as he builds the bridge. And he's starting to piss me off. I got up for this what more does he want?

"Where is that weird blonde kid and the one with the attitude?" He questions as he carries a beam. "They're training. Climbing trees." Sakura replied.

"Too tough for you?" he asks. I glared at him and stuck my tongue out. "A drunken fat man wouldn't understand the advance chakra majors of two kunoichi." I said. He got an irk mark. "What?!" He hissed. I smirked at him. "In words understandable for a tired old man like you, we're better than them."

We had a glare down till he walked away. Yeah, I don't get along well with him.

A man walked up to Tazuna and quit. He tried to convince Tazuna to quit, but he declined. Saying that it's their bridge, their village.

He actually said some cool words for a cranky old man. I wonder how Naruto and Sasuke are doing. I bet they eventually got the hang of it.

~~

As we were walking home, we had to stop and pick up things for dinner. It was awful. Kids where out on the streets. They looked so malnourished. It broke my heart.

They have no one. I stopped in front of two kids who looked like they haven't eaten in days. They looked like siblings too. "Miyu?" Sakura asked as she and Tazuna stood behind me.

The two boys looked up at me. I could see some of their cheek bones. I sighed and took out my wallet and bending down to their level. I smiled and gave them all my money. "Miyu!" Sakura shouted in surprise.

The two boys looked up at me, eyes wide. "Make sure you two take care of each other okay?" They nodded, still astounded. I smiled once more before standing up and walking forward.

After a bit Sakura and Tazuna followed. "Miyu, why did you do that?" Sakura asked. I didn't look her way. "They were alone. They only had each other and nobody seemed to care. Nobody should face that." Not like Naruto and I. as long as someone shows them kindness, they can grow and become great people.

I'm not sure if Sakura pieced it together. I doubt she did.

We entered a store, at least that's what it claimed to be. There was hardly any food. Suddenly Sakura kicked a man and screamed; "You pervert!"

I blinked at the unconscious man. Huh.

"You really surprised me back there. Most girls don't fight like that." Tazuna said, impressed. Sakura huffed. She was still fuming. "They should!" Someone grabbed her butt and she was about to strike until she noticed it was a little boy who wanted some food.

He seemed so . . . happy. He wasn't though. He was dirty and frail. I smiled and bent down to his level. He stared at me. I dug in my bag and brought out my untouched bento. His eyes widened as I handed it to him.

He smiled wide. "Thank you!" I gave him a closed eye smile and ruffled his hair. "Of course. Now make sure you eat all of it so you can grow up to be strong."

His eyes sparkled and he nodded before running off. This place is horrible. Absolutely awful. Gato. He did this to them.

Tazuna is doing a good thing. Building hope for these people. We'll stop it. We'll stop Gato, once and for all.

~~

We were all sitting down, eating dinner. "Oh, by the way Naruto, I lost my wallet on the journey here, so we have no spending money for this month." I put in casually.

He choked on his food. "WHAT?! That's half of our money!" I shrugged before eating some rice. "We just won't eat out this month. Simple."

"How could you lose your money?! You're supposed to be the responsible one. Jeez." He continued eating like a pig. Tazuna and Sakura sent me looks and I only gave them a peace sign.

If I told Naruto about me giving the money away it would stress him out. Sure, losing it would stress him out too, but not as much. Besides, we have enough for this month.

Naruto and Sasuke were eating a lot. And really fast too. "I want some more!" Naruto and Sasuke yelled in unison. Thy turned and their lightening glares clashed with each other's.

I sweat dropped at them. "Naruto, Sasuke, if you eat too much too fast you're going to puke." I warned. They turned fast and puked. Sakura glared at the both of them. Then it became if they didn't eat more than each other they won't beat them.

Sakura mentioned the picture. Before she could bother them more I interrupted. "Sakura, your panties are showing." I lied with ease while eating.

"WHAT?!" She screeched. She then ran out of the room, bright red. Tsunami turned to me. "You didn't have to lie to her about my husband." She said. I shrugged before eating some more. "She needs to learn to read the atmosphere. You all obviously don't want to talk about it and it's not fair to ask."

"They used to call him a hero in this land." Tazuna started.

Well then. Ignore my generosity. Inari left and his mom followed after. "Father you can't talk about him like that in front of Inari, you know that!" Well . . . that was a bit rude.

"Great job Sakura." I muttered. Tazuna sighed. "It's not her fault. She was just curious and Inari needs to get over it. He wasn't Inari's real father but he brought happiness to this family."

So did Inari know his real father? "He and Inari were very close. In those days, Inari used to laugh all the time. But then . . ." His fists clenched and he shook in wither anger or sadness. Maybe even both.

Tears leaked out of his eyes. "All that ended. He never laughs or smiles anymore. Ever since the day everything changed. The word courage was stolen from this island."

I listened as he told us about his father and him being a hero. He had saved Inari from drowning.

After the story ended, the others were more empathetic. Some reason I wasn't. I don't know why. I should, but I didn't. Because Inari has a mother, a grandfather, a wonderful home, and love. Sure, he lost him, but he had the others.

I felt a bit bad, but I wasn't. Because he taught Inari courage, the village courage.

If anything, I feel bad for his dad. All in all, Gato is a cruel, pathetic, man who hides behind his wealth. He's going down. Gato will die. That much I know.

I ate some more. Naruto got up and left. "I'll prove that it's true. That in this world, there are real heroes!"

Naruto. I-I don't think there are heroes. If there were, why would nobody save us from loneliness? But, he's so determined. Maybe Naruto will show us the truth.