Twenty

Chapter Twenty: Happily Ever After

Jimmy: Would you like me to plan out everything? Is there something specific you want to do?

Sammy: Let's just ride bikes.

Jimmy: Really? We can do a movie or eat out. I can pay. I'm still loaded.

Sammy: Nope. Let's just keep it low key.

Jimmy: Okay. Sure.

===

I stood in front of the mirror attached to my bedroom door. First I kind of tried something dressed up. Like an expensive pair of black chinos and a silver shirt, stretchy, form fitting. I literally laughed out loud. I looked like someone going out to a club. For like thirty year olds. The next one was one of the outfits Stella helped me pick out last summer. Gray jeans. A maroon ribbed mock turtleneck. Black leather jacket. Nope. Then my beat up jeans ripped to shreds, an old PE shirt from high school. A black cap. God I was such a mess. Too fricking slobby for our first date. I wanted Sammy to know I tried.

So, a nice, normal pair of jeans. A long sleeve navy shirt with a thin white stripe pattern. I did my hair. Which I hadn't done for months. I put on cologne, and according to the package, would make me smell like citrus and suede. I guess that was a good thing. At least it helped that it covered any sweaty, stinky smell.

And of course, the necklace Sammy gave me for my birthday in December. Fuck, it seemed like a million years ago.

Taking a huge breath, grabbing the door knob, wiping my hands on my jeans, I finally opened the front door. My bike was parked on the side of the house. It wasn't too warm a day, thankfully, since I'd opted for long sleeves. It would take me about fifteen minutes to bike to...

Sammy turned the corner, and casually rode up my driveway.

"I said I'd pick you up," I complained, walking towards him, trying to resist the urge to run my hand through my hair.

"I was too nervous to wait," he admitted. His golden eyes flicked up and down me. "You look really good, Jimmy."

"Thanks," I shrugged. "You do too," I added truthfully.

I was so relieved this wasn't a deja vu moment like when Jeremy wore his basketball shorts on our romantic Valentines' date. Sammy was wearing jeans, too, but his were acid washed with a forest green v neck. Dark brown Timberlands. It might be literally one of the few times I'd seen him without a hoodie. His hair looked like it usually did, dark blonde, bangs in his face. He was actually wearing the eyeliner from our Boardwalk Bros days.

He noticed me noticing. "Stella made me wear it."

"You look great," I said. "You can totally pull it off."

We stood there for a few minutes, looking at each other. Then both broke into laughter at the exact same moment.

I grabbed my bike, and we rode down the street, heading for the ramps in the hills where we all used to hang out together.

===

We took turns trying out the jumps, until I finally gave up and sat down at the bottom of the ramp, watching Sammy do his thing. He was so little, he practically made his bike fly. He jumped around me, sometimes as close as a foot away, but I wasn't freaked out. I trusted him. And his skill. He would never hurt me.

I knew he would never hurt me.

He parked the bike in front of me, still straddling it. Glowy. Smiley. Sammy.