Eleven

Chapter Eleven: Breakup Blues

"I want to get a tattoo," I said the next night on the couch watching shit on TV.

"What?" Kenny said, mouth full of chips.

""Cool,  baby, anything you want. Let's all get tattoos. Get up, gentleman. It's tattoo time." Jeremy was already on his feet, pulling me upright.

He was being so good to me since yesterday. I know he knows I was upset about Ivy. Not really about breaking up with her. I'm a total shit. Not a good guy. I liked her okay. I just didn't want a girlfriend at all. But I also refused to think about why even though my answer was literally staring me in the face, helping me grab my coat.

I didn't go to class yesterday or today. I just slept in bed with Jeremy or sat on the couch with Jeremy. Smoking. Occasionally eating. Kenny came and went. This afternoon Sammy joined us, silent, hoodie up, like normal. I wanted to punch his beautiful face after what he did to me, but I decided I was a lover not a fighter, whatever that meant.

But a tattoo sounded cool. So why the fuck not. It just freaking popped into my head.

"I'm in!" Kenny whooped. "Come on Sammy. Let's all get matching Boardwalk Bros ink!!" He grabbed his cheap ass keds. The fancy sneakers were strictly for promos. None of us got to keep the stuff we showed in our videos. I mean, Kenny could probably buy a pair for real, himself, but who the fuck pays thousands of dollars for shoes?

"I'm in," Sammy said quietly, trying to get me to look at him. But I just let Jeremy put my coat on me, and turned my face away from him. Ignoring his existence.

"Fuck. Do you think I should ask Yuri if it's okay?" Kenny paused, taking out his phone.

Jeremy laughed hysterically. "Bro? Really? You have to ask her if you can take a shit too?"

"Shut the fuck up about my princess, asshole. I love that bad bitch. I'm going to fucking marry her. She's everything. And if she's negative about me getting a tattoo, if for some reason that pisses her off, since she has to look at my ugly ass all the time, I'm going to do whatever my woman wants."

"Loser," Jeremy scoffed. Kenny just flipped him off and typed a text at lighting speed.

"You getting a tattoo on your ugly ass? That's your best idea?" Sammy joked.

I laughed then smothered it quickly. I'm not laughing with that asshole.

"She says it's fine. As long as it's not crazy dumb. I guess she doesn't know me as well as I thought," Kenny looked at his screen with freaking heart eyes.

We all knew most of his ideas were crazy dumb.  

I sighed. And Jeremy put his hand around my waist, walking us down towards the parking lot and his car. I sat in the passenger seat, barely more than robot. Which was kind of shitty since Jeremy was being nothing but good to me. Which was strange, but nice.

I wanted what Kenny had. I did. Maybe that's what was missing. I needed a person who made me feel as happy as Kenny. He seemed to have a handle on his shit these days. Which was weird. After our first three or four months of fame, drinking, girls and drugs, he seemed to have hit his stride. He took care of a lot of shit for the Boardwalk Bros. He and Jeremy worked with our money guys. He had a girl. He was finally getting better grades once we started partying a little less. He seemed legit happy.

I wanted to be happy.

I just felt so...lost.

I stared out the window at the rain, as Jeremy drove downtown.