Ten

Chapter Ten: Scalene Triangles

I stood on the stage and listened to the cheers of the kids in the crowd. It brought me right back to that first day of school. My first time in the spotlight. My first day feeling like some kind of freaking somebody, all the girls staring at me. Feeling like I was a king.

Today...not so much. I'd had my fill of the spotlight. This was not who I wanted to be anymore. I wished I could turn invisible. I wish none of this had ever happened. I had important parts of my life, important people in my life that I wanted to keep hidden. I felt so exposed, standing up here.

It was a school spirit event to get everyone in the mood for Valentine's Day. Not sure why that needed to be a focus at college. Weren't we here to like, learn shit, and stuff?

"Welcome, welcome. Woo HOO!!!! Are we ready for some fun???? It's almost that special day, and who better to kick it off than our Boardwalk Bros!!!! Our Lords of Love!!! Any SeaGulls out there!!???"

SeaGulls was the official name of our fanclub. It was dumb. Kenny chose it of course.

A huge roar from the crowd again. Lots of SeaGulls apparently, though most of our fanbase was international. Jeremy had great visions of us touring the Southeast Asian Islands this summer. I couldn't even see how we were going to make it to next week, but more power to him, I guess.

Today's event was being emceed by some guy. Thank god it wasn't Nelly. I'd probably run screaming if it was her.

"Allright allright, calm down. We're here for the next thirty minutes with our Bros. Going to play some games and have some fun!!!

Another wave of cheering. I tried not to sigh.

"Let's let them introduce themselves!! As if we didn't know who they are!!!" The guy laughed uproariously.

He held out the microphone to each of us.

"Hi, I'm Sammy." He stood there, uncomfortable, but that was okay, since it was part of his media persona to be grumpy and uncomfortable. Today he was wearing a skintight hoodie in oxblood red.   All of us were wearing our sponsor's gear, and we'd vlogged before this event, making sure to name all the right names to earn our coin for day. But Sammy's contact specifically asked him to unzip as far as it would go, so despite the cold air, his collarbones were almost completely exposed. His butterscotch blonde hair had grown enough to put it back into a tiny ponytail, so it was out of his face.

He looked so good.

Not that I was looking.

"I'm Kenny, the awesome one!" The crowd laughed, as he'd known they would. Kenny was jumping up and down, doing bizarre high kicks, showing off his designer sneakers.

"I'm Jimmy." This time the roar was louder, and I waved somewhat shyly. The rings winking on my finger. My watch prominent on my wrist.

"Don't be like that babe!" Jeremy held me closer from behind, squeezing me before standing in front of me, taking the microphone. The crowd ate it up, like they always did.

"And I'm Jeremy. My bros and I are here to have a good time!" He tipped his sunglasses down so he could give me a dramatic once over. "Damn, you looking good today, babe!!"

I shoved him good naturedly, the crowd basically pissing themselves at our interaction.

And so it went, as it always did.

=

The first game was the old classic Pocky challenge. A ton of build up on the emcee's part. Only to have me and Sammy put the long cookie in our mouth and see if our partners could nibble it. Smallest pocky left wins.