Chapter 12: To help Kaldur I have to help myself

I had moved back into the lab space at Wayne Enterprises for the time being. I was determined to stop splitting focus, they may have meant letting my magic training go for the time being and staying with the job that paid and school that was being paid for. I couldn't neglect the team still however. My apartment was finally completely ready, furniture pre placed new mattress, heavenly really. I was enjoying my time at my parent's home but it made me remember why I moved out.

"I'm not very comfortable with this. Delving into your mind. It... it is an intrusion". M'gann told B'aars when we asked her to read his mind.

"You have my permission". He assured her. "We must be able to trust each-other". He said before revealing a creepy much too wide smile. "Does my smile displease? Is this not how humans convey friendship, and put each-other at ease"? He asked.

"There has to be another way". Conner said.

"Look, I'm not sure what the Martian etiquette is here but Green Beetle is right. We need to trust each other. Which means we need to confirm he is who he says he is. Miss M. is our only real option". Nightwing told us.

"Go for it, Angelfish. Reading this guy will be a piece of crab cake". La'gaan told her.

"Please proceed with the mind link". B'aars encouraged her. She sighed as she established the connection.

"Green Beetle is on our side". She said after a moment.

After a few questions we got down to the brass tax, confirming the Reach's plan to control the earth. "This consumable contains the Reach's additive. Which combines microscopic quantities of two chemicals. One is a dopamine polymerase the other an adrenaline inhibitor. Taken over generations, they will slowly addict the entire population to Reach and make the people of earth, Placid. Literally incapable of revolt". He told us.

"That matches up exactly with Flash and Atom's analyses of the additive sample acquired from Lex Corp". Nightwing confirmed.

"Ah... I see still I am... tested". B'aars sighed.

"Look, we're sorry, but"- he cut Nightwing off.

"No, it is wise. As they say on your world. 'All cards must be off the table'". B'aars told us trying to be understanding.

"On the table". Blue corrected him. "I-I mean, never mind ignore me".

"On the table. Yes. That does make more sense". B'aars said. "So here are my final card on the table. My scarab informs me the  additive also contains a mitochondrial marker which works as a meta-gene tracer. Allowing the reach to identify and isolate potential superpowered individuals". B'aars told us.

"Making it easier to harvest and abuse the meta-gene"! Nightwing realized. "Our analysis didn't reveal that. Thank you". He said to B'aars.

"Can't we go public with this"? Jaime asked.

"I'll pass it on to Captain Atom but the League's credibility is at a record low right now. We'll probably have to bide our time". Nightwing told him. "Good work everyone. Meeting Adjourned". He told us. I waited behind the pack to talk to B'aars.

"B'aars a word"? I asked and he nodded we corned ourselves off. "You have my permission to establish a mind link so we can speak privately". I told him.

"Thank you, you have a question regarding Martians I see"? He said sounding almost excited.

"Yes if a powerful Martian rips someone's mind apart can it be restored"? I asked.

"In a matter of speaking yes with help from close companions to establish pieces that may have been lost completely in the process. If there's someone who needs such service I would be glad to help although Miss Martian would be more helpful given her strong mind. But I see you already know strength without experience is not very useful". He told me answering his own questions by using what was present into my mind.