Chapter 6: it all went so wrong, so fast

The time flew until Nightwing gave me the dates I'd get to see Kaldur then they went by at a snail's pace.

"They're both going to wind up our responsibility aren't they"? Mal asked referring to "real" Roy and Bart we had pulled up on the screen. 

"Not necessarily. Bart- Impulse is staying with Jay and Joan Garrick in central city. Roy the original speedy, is recuperating at Royal memorial hospital in Star City. Arrows Green and Red are watching over him". Nightwing explained.

"Yeah. They're both going to wind up our responsibility". I sighed.

"Doesn't everything"? Conner asked. "I mean where are we on identifying the Light's new partner"? He asked.

"No progress". Nightwing sighed.

"La'gann, don't eat so fast". M'gann scolded playfully laughing.

"I can't help it anglefish. The idea of cooking crab is amazing enough. But making them into little cakes"? La'gaan said and it was reminding me of when I took Kaldur to a seafood restaurant, he loved it.

"Oh, oh, you're gonna choke". M'gann giggled and the whole thing started to loose me on the cuteness factor.

"If only". Conner said under his breath and I elbowed him.

"Here... let me". M'gann said starting to hand feed La'gaan.

"If that's not true love, I don't know what is... chum". La'gaan said making me glare at him. I jerked Conner over to me and away from them.

"Call us when it's time for the briefing". I told Nightwing leading Conner out of the room.

"Recognized. Artemis. B-0-7." The computer range out and we paused.

"Time for the briefing". Nightwing said and I ran to hug Artemis.

"Artemis"! I greeted.

"Hi Tomika! M'gann". Artemis exclaimed while we group hugged.

"How's Wally"? I asked.

"He's... Wally". She assured me.

"Welcome back girl". Mal greeted.

"We have so missed you around here"! Conner told her.

"Conner"! She greeted.

"I relish this opportunity to finally fight beside you archer". La'gaan told her.

"Um... thanks, La'gaan". She told him and Nightwing rallied us back in.

"Ok Gamma Team listen up. The mission's Cape Canaveral. Covert op to safe guard the first Earth- Martian com-sat. There are people out there who don't even like the idea of aliens and will do anything to scrub this launch". Nightwing told us.

"But that's why I came back... because not all of us feel that way". Artemis said seeing M'gann's sad face.

"So why are you goin"? Mal asked Nightwing.

"Let's just say after running this team for a year... I'm peckish for a little action". Nightwing told him. This was a plan with Kaldur now Artemis was in on it, which actually felt oddly nice. I was lying in wait on Bio Ship. When Miss Martian and Super Boy were finished with their publicity stunt they joined me on board and I got to see Conner dressed as Superman.

"Oh my gosh". I gasped. "It's too good to be true"! I chuckled and he sneered at me grabbing his change of clothes. "Be safe guys I'm going to join Artemis and Nightwing". I told them exiting through a hole in the ceiling.

"Miss M link us up". Nightwing ordered when I joined them on the tower.

"Link established". She told us.