Interlude: Velaryon Cousins

Driftmark Castle, Driftmark Island

53 AC

At Rhaena's insistence, the three women visited their cousin Corwyn Velaryon for the birth of his son, Corlys Velaryon.

Corwyn was a kind man, with silver hair and purple eyes of the Valyrians of the Old. But while he had the look of a dragon lord, he was not one.

Celaena didn't like Driftmark Castle much. It was a grim-looking castle, and Celaena often damp and flooded. It had dark, salt-stained walls as well.

But she and Aerea did enjoy the island of Driftmark. Driftmark was a a low-lying and fertile island, named after driftwood brought by the tides.

The rider of Abraxas and the eldest child of the Queen in the West also became fascinated with Corwyn's wife, Lady Xondasa Soqas of Jhala.

She was the daughter of a Summer Islander Princess, and one of the most beautiful women Celaena had ever seen.

Xondasa had dark skin the color of polished jet, her long black hair pulled into dozens of intricate braids and her eyes a warm black eyes. She wore white often with gold jewelry, and an exotic accent.

Baby Corlys had the dark skin of his mother, but he had his father's hair and eyes.

The new Lady of Driftmark was also fascinated with Abraxas, though she had no intention to ride him. She did tell her and Aerea about the Summer Islanders and her culture.

"I want to fly there." Celaena declared. "I want to fly on Abraxas and see the world."

"Me to!" Aerea declared.

"Then I suggest you study geography, maps, how to survive in the wilderness, languages, astronomy, and how to fight." Xondasa advised. The youngest child of King Aenys turned to her oldest sister.

"May we please learn those subjects, rōva mandia (big sister)?" Celaena inquired, indigo eyes wide. Aerea joined in.

Rhaena smiled. If it made her sister and daughter happy... "Very well. But I expect you to take your studies seriously."

"We will." Aerea promised.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it!