18.0

• • •

The overall success of the raid was enough reason for the clan to host a celebration later that night.

Cely had just washed herself and went to her family hut to excitedly tell her parents how well she did with Neytiri.

When she walked in, she saw her father sitting with another Na'vi male. Once her presence was known, the mystery man revealed himself—Taku.

Her eyes narrowed with suspicion. "What's going on?"

Tsu'tey threw his hands up as if excited about something. "There you are! We wondered when you would return. I have excellent news, daughter."

She walked closer but kept her distance, still unsure of the situation. "And what is it?"

Tsu'tey pat the other male on the back proudly. "You will be mated with Taku tonight, after the celebration. It is what we've been waiting for!"

Cely's breath hitched. She figured her father would let the unwanted mating pass after this much time.

"No, father—" She began protesting.

"If I may—" Taku interjected, "I also think this is wonderful news. I look forward to having such a fine woman alongside me."

She scoffed. "Fuck off, ass wipe."

"Excuse me?"

"Cely!" Her father shouted. "Taku. We will see you later. For now, I must speak with my daughter alone."

Taku nodded and did his 'I See You' gesture to Tsu'tey, who he returned it to. Cely rolled her eyes at the encounter.

Once Taku had left, Tsu'tey rubbed his head in stress. "Why must you make things so difficult? Do you even understand what mating with Taku could bring to this family!?"

Cely's toned didn't back down, this time wanting to fight for herself. "I don't care! I would rather die than be mated to that dumbass."

Her father was taken aback at her response. "What?"

"Did you mean it when you told me that you see me? Because if you did, you'd know that this isn't what I want!" She kept shouting, her desire to stand her ground too strong.

"I did, Cely! I meant it. But sometimes you don't get to pick your mate, that's just how it works." His voice grew soft, unknowing to Cely his mind drifted to a woman from many cycles ago. Sylwanin.

"Who cares how it's supposed to work? Why can't I be with the one I actually love?" Cely voiced but held a lighter tone.

Tsu'tey met his daughters eyes, "You love someone?"

She kept the eye contact, feeling like she could break at any moment. Taking a deep breath, she replied, "Yes. I do. And I would do anything to be with him. And for him."

Cely watched as her father grew tears and slowly broke into a smile. He walked right to her and enveloped her in a hug. Not having hugged her father for years, she stood with her arms by her side for a moment. After caving, she lightly brought her arms up to return the gesture.