Chapter 55

"Lady Caera!" The woman cried as she ran to them in a panic.

"Nessa, what's wrong?" Caera asked urgently.

"We have trouble. Scythe Seris is here, and has been waiting for over an hour," Nessa replied.

"Told you you should have gotten the pastries to go." Arthur commented casually.

Nessa looked to him questioningly, and was about to say something before Caera spoke up.

"These people are guests of Scythe Seris, and they will be staying with us for the time being. Please have two rooms prepared."

"Yes my Lady, but..."

"Where is she?"

"In the high lords study drinking. Something seems to be bothering her."

"Alright, let's go," Caera said, and the four of them quickly made their way to the study.

"Does she know of Seris' plan?" Tess asked.

"Nessa? No," Caera replied. "Even though I trust Nessa, she worries far too much to be a part of something like this. In fact, no one here other than Alaric knows anything about it. Blood Denior is involved, helping Scythe Seris gather strength by getting the support of other high bloods, but Alaric is the only other one here that knows who you three are and your mission."

"Isn't this your home?" Tess asked. "Couldn't you just order them not to speak or something?"

"This is Highlord Deniors' home, I just live here."

"Isn't that your father?" Tess asked.

"Adopted. All children who are discovered to have Vritra blood are taken from their families and sent to Highbloods to be trained until our Vritra blood manifest."

"Do you even know who your birth parents are?"

Caera hesitated. "No. I only have a vague memory of what they looked like. I was far too young to be able to remember anything significant."

"I'm so sorry," Tess said sympathetically.

"Thank you."

"What happens after your blood manifests?"

"First we are tested. Some get to go home, others stay and are experimented on and trained to become elite soldiers for Agrona."

"What are they testing for?" Arthur asked, never hearing any of this in the previous timeline.

"We don't know. There are theories, he's looking for those with potential to become strong enough to fight Asura is the most popular theory. But Seris believes he's looking for something else, something specific."

The four arrived at the study to see Seris sitting comfortably in a plush chair drinking a brown liquor. Off to the side by the bar was a servant with sweat practically pouring from him. He took notice of them, and gave Caera a pleading look. With a nod of her head the servant looked relieved and practically ran out, closing the door behind him.

"Master." Caera greeted, then gestures to the others behind her, "Arthur and Tessia Leywin, and Elijah Knight."

"Welcome to Alacrya, come take a seat," she says as she raises her glass.

"Master, is something wrong?" Caera asks as she and the others walk over to other seats around her.

Seris holds up a black envelope. "This came for you while you were out."

Caera came to her and took the envelope and opened it. "It's an invitation to a ball at..." Caera looked over at Seris with a concerned expression. "Taegrin Caelum."