Chapter 42

One by one Arthur and the others exited the teleportation gate, each shaking out the sand as they entered.

"I never would have guessed we would have to dig in here," Claire commented as she tousled her hair and sand began pouring out.

"Dig? I can't believe we had to endure a sand storm," Tess replied as she did the same.

"Yeah, sorry about that," Arthur replied as he withdrew his armor and the sand just fell to the ground. "But at least I was able to get some kind of understanding of that secret room."

The underground room in the desert level was an emergency treatment room the Dijin installed during the construction of the relic tombs. Even though the floor was intended to kill intruders, when their own went through the last thing they wanted was for them to die. The room was intended as an emergency room for injured Dijin that were traversing the relic tomb, but hadn't unlocked the healing branch of vivum. The table was a vivum artifact that was capable of healing even the most severe injury in a matter of seconds. The map's purpose was obvious, but the small stone-like artifacts and the pedestal were still a mystery. The only thing they knew for certain was that the stones were charged with aether from the pedestal when placed in the slots. Although he had no evidence, Arthur theorized that one of these rooms was on every level, and that it was a pure coincidence that they even discovered it.

"Yeah well, you can cook dinner tonight to make it up to us," Theo replied.

"Deal," Arthur replied as he looked around the room. The room was completely white marble with matching columns every twenty feet and several domes in the ceiling. About a hundred feet away was the gate to leave, to the left was a large pool of steaming water, to the right there was a fire pit with a flame already burning surrounded by several marble benches, and in the middle was a fountain of water. All this room needed would be some marble statues and it would have looked like they were in a Roman palace.

"Hey, is this one of those ummm, rest areas? No sanctuary rooms," Lilia asked, correcting herself.

Arthur looked around. "I think so. Let's check it out. I've seen a room before that looked like a sanctuary room but in fact was another floor."

Everyone looked around. The water in the pool was hot but comfortable, the water from the fountain cool and refreshing, and the fire good and hot. Everyone agreed, it was in fact a sanctuary room.

"Alright, let's eat some food and we'll head out after a good nights sleep," Arthur stated.

"How do we even know when it is nighttime? I haven't even seen a sunset down here. And doesn't time flow differently here too?" Curtis asked.

"You know what I mean," Arthur replied dismissively.

"Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I hear that hot water calling me," Claire stated. "Can we set up some kind of curtain?"

"I second that idea," Lilia replied as she pulled her bed roll from her ring.

"Same," Tess said as Kathyln nodded and they both did the same.

"I've got some rope," Curtis said.

He and Theo tied it to opposing columns and everyone started draping their bed rolls or blankets over it. The four girls then stripped naked and climbed into the hot water.

"Ahhh, this feels so good," Lilia thought out loud.

"Mhmm. I have a washcloth, but I'm really wishing I brought soap right now," Tess commented as she scrubbed her arms.

"Hey," Claire whispered. "As much as I'm enjoying this bath, am I the only one worried on of the guys will look over and sneak a peek?"

"Curtis wouldn't as long as I'm here," Kathyln stated confidently.