Chapter 68

Two young elves, a boy and girl, twin siblings, were carefully moving through the elven forest. They were not making a single noise or mana fluctuation, while both did their best to keep themselves hidden from sight and keeping their eyes open for their pursuer, they were being hunted by an Asura. Normally they wouldn't have anything to worry about this deep in the forest, there weren't any mana beasts that they couldn't at least escape from, but an Asura was different, this Asura was different.

They each quietly made an opening in the bush they were hiding in and looked out, the coast appeared to be clear. Quietly they low crawled out from the bottom, their clothes getting caked in mud from the heavy rain that fell the night before. Once out they pressed up against a tree, the girl, with emerald green eyes and auburn hair was looking forward, as the other, a boy with ocean blue eyes and gunmetal hair was looking back. They only worried about being seen or heard, as they had been taught how to hide the presence of their cores while still using a bit of mana by their father.

The girl kept quiet but felt relieved, ahead she saw a lake, a sign that the only safe haven was close. She tapped her brother who turned his head to face her, and she nodded to signal they were on the right path. Quickly they both dropped to the ground, they heard the whistling of something moving quickly through the wind. The hand of the Asura slammed into the tree as they fell, they then rolled back up to their feet and started sprinting to the lake.

"How did she find us?" The boy asked as he ran.

"Who cares, keep running!" His sister shot back from beside him .

The Asura was flying overhead, but keeping close. She could have caught them easily by now, but that would have caused an end to the fun, and even though she was after them, she was also hunting larger prey. Then she smirked as she saw it, the amethyst glow of aether forming underneath them.

"He just needs a little bit of a push," she thought to herself, and dove in for the capture.

Quickly she closed the distance, and reached out a hand to grab one of them. Suddenly like a demon emerging from the shadows a horned aetheric wolf burst out from underneath the little girl, leaving her in the riding position. Quickly she reached out and grabbed her brothers hand and pulled him on its back.

"REGIS!" The twins cried out excitedly.

"Did you miss me that much?" He asked proudly as he picked up speed.

"We didn't know you were out here," The girl said.

"Yeah, we thought you were still with mom and dad," added the boy.

"Are you kidding? I would never let that overgrown reptile catch you two," he replied, and took off as fast as he could towards the lake.

"I see it!" The boy called out excitedly.

"We're almost safe!" The girl added.

Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. In a flash of purple the Asura reappeared beside them, as she drop kicked Regis in the side, sending the kids into the air, and him into the lake.

As the twins came down the Asura grabbed them both around the waist and held them underneath her arms. They looked in horror as the water settled from Regis's splash, then looked up and glared at the Asura who smirked back triumphantly.

"I win," she said.

"NO FAIR SYLVIE!" They both yelled in unison.

"You're not supposed to be using aether!" The boy argued.

"And you two aren't supposed to use Regis. All I did was even the odds," Sylvie shot back.

"Ughh, and we were so close," the girl complained.