Chapter 22

Claire and her team exited the teleportation gate on the floating castle. To her surprise there were a few adventurers loitering in the hall, looking bored out of their minds. She found herself staring as she found them looking very familiar, especially the rough looking one sitting on a crate reading a book with a small smile.

"Claire?"

Claire's attention quickly shifted to the sound of someone calling her name.

"Uncle Kaspian?"

Claire beamed with a bright smile as she ran to her favorite uncle.

"Uncle Kaspian, I didn't know you were going to be here," she said as she gave him a hug.

"Likewise. Were you told you were being selected for a mission too?"

"Yes! Does this mean we'll have a chance to work together?"

"Who knows, but it seems likely," Kaspian replied, a little surprised that he and his team of S ranked adventurers would be on the same mission as his niece.

"Oh Uncle," Claire said as she broke the hug. "Let me introduce you to my team."

Kaspian looked in the direction she was looking and saw Thomas, Jerry, and Theo as they took a few steps closer.

"Hello sir, my name is Thomas, light orange core, fire affinity," he introduced as he held out his hand, and Kaspian shook it.

"I'm Jerry, also light orange core, sound affinity."

As Theo stepped up he stood taller with a more authoritative look about him.

"Theodore Maxwell sir. We met a few years ago at the Ant Hill after the dungeon raid with Claire," Theo said as he held out his hand.

Kaspian took his hand and shook it. He could instantly tell Theo was pretty strong, not Arthur strong, but pretty strong for the average person his age. As he looked him in the eyes he could see he was nervous, which caught him off guard.

"The pleasure is mine. I'm surprised to see you still staying by Claire's side after all these years. I would have thought you would have gotten your own team by now."

Theo blushed a little. "I feel my talents are better served watching Claire's back."

"Well she's very lucky to have you around," Kaspian replied, noticing the blush.

A few minutes later the teleportation gate activated again, and Curtis along with two knights walked through.

"Can I have your attention everyone," Curtis called out. "If you'll be coming with us, gather your belongings, as soon as we're done inventorying everything we'll be on our way."

Quickly Curtis locked eyes with Theo, leading him to noticing Claire as well, and walked straight to them.

"Long time no see," Curtis said to Theo as they bumped fists.

"Yeah well, some of us have to actually do work. We all can't have cushy jobs like this," Theo teased.

"And this is my last day of this 'cushy job'. Starting tomorrow I'll be preparing for this mission with you guys."

"And any word on what this mission is?" Claire asked before giving Curtis a hug.

"None," Curtis said, then broke the hug. "All I know is that Arthur is running it. But if you'll excuse me. The sooner that I account for everyone, the sooner we can go."

—————————————————————

As always with everyone during their first visit to the sanctuary, they felt either wonder or disappointment towards the ancient mage city.